Help! LR questions...

I have the same problem with Lightroom 3. I am glad I didn't delete Lightroom 2.7, it is turbo fast.
Lightroom 3 takes foorreeevver. I only use it now for auto sync noise reduction or lens correction, I plug it in and let it run when I have lots of time.

There's has to be a problem with some of your computers or something. I just export 234 jpegs last night and it didn't even take 15 minutes.

So for me LR3 it's fast

For me the killer is when I select a photo in to edit it in the develop module.....takes for ever to render the photo so I can see it.
I checked and as far as I can tell the settings are the same for 3 as they are in 2.7 which renders the photo to be edited almost instantly.

Really I don't understand. Mine it's super fast in both of my computer.

Try unistalling all you can find and reinstall

Mine is the rendering after applying a change that is SUPER slow. I am "ghetto" rigging it for now. I do almost everything in ACR-set my wb and everything. Then I am importing to LR with the wb done and just applying the preset.
The export took forever last night... I just did another 50 images we'll see how this goes now.

I did disable windows defender's real time scan to see if that helped and upped the Cache to 3G. I'll let you know.

SCraig-you REALLY confused me when you said you don't use any Adobe products except for Acrobat... but in the post before you were talking about some limited use of LR... Totally didn't fit in my brain.

Didn't help. :(

... SCraig-you REALLY confused me when you said you don't use any Adobe products except for Acrobat... but in the post before you were talking about some limited use of LR... Totally didn't fit in my brain.
Sorry, you are right and I didn't realize that.

True that I don't use Adobe software much. I don't particularly have anything against Adobe, so I decided I'd download the demo of Lightroom and look at it a couple of months ago. I played with it for a little while, really only long enough to see that I didn't need another image catalog database. I didn't spend enough time with it to really even explore all of its capabilities since it was plain to me that what I already had worked better. Certainly less than an hour, probably less than 30 minutes. Hence my comment about "Limited use".

I apologize for the confusion. My mistake entirely.

You guys would have a HEART ATTACK at how slow this is moving. It's taken me the better part of an hour to export to jpeg about 75 images. Before that it took me probably 2 hours to adjust them. And the only actual adjustment I had to do beyond applying a preset I made was to double check white balance because of cycling lights! 75 images should take me about a half hour or less!!!

You know what....if the files have lots of noise, even though you can't see it, they are big and heavy and the noise needs to be turned down...how big are your jpeg files?

Leeky,
Is today the first you are using Lightroom and did you Import your entire computer's Photo files or alarge amount into it just today?

If that's so most of LR power is going to rendering Thumbnails, Sccreen res previews and 100% previews if you have the software set to do that on import.

That can take quite a while to get done if you have imported a huge amount of fiiles, You can usually see a progress bar in the upper left hand side if it is still rendering previews.

Until that is done, LR runs like mollases

Justa thought

Yes, first real use last night. No, I only imported the one game I was working on. Somewhere under 200 raw images from my 1d3

Try optimizing your catalog. Click on "File", and select "optimize". It should always be the first thing you do when LR is running slow.

I am trying to make myself love Lightroom4 because of the new tools in it that I want to play with.

Lightroom 4 is just a beta-test release right now. Speed enhancements are pretty much the last step in the process towards a finished product. The purpose of the beta is essentially to demo new features/enhancements and get feedback before the final version is released.

It is not intended for production use or high-volume processing in its current state.

This issue was also brought up on Adobe's LR4b forums. Some people complained," How am I supposed to know if I can use LR4 for my work if it's so slow?"

The fact of the matter is that LR4b is only a demonstration of the new features, not refined and finished product. It is not meant to be used as a "trial version" of the software for us to decide if we want the full version. The beta is a pre-release of a program that is still being developed. If you're interested in how fast it will be when it's actually released, you'll have to wait until it's actually released and then download the trial version that Adobe offers (it has offered limited-time trials for other versions of LR, I presume they'll do the same for LR4). But, in it's current beta state, the program is not optimized for speed. The ONLY reason that we have even been able to see this program yet is to demo the new features and offer feedback, not to put it through the paces with heavy-duty, high-volume processing.

We aren't talking high volume here. We're talking it's impossible to process ONE image with. I didn't do a full tournament or anything on purpose. I am not ready for that as I am NOT a LR lover (to say the least.) This is insane. You can't do jack with the new settings to see how good or bad they are going to be if it is running THIS slow.
If I adjust a slider it does NOT react... then goes to Not responding for a good 10 seconds and then all of a sudden wakes up and does whatever I have adjusted. At which point I start the process all over again until I finally hit the right WB. And the sliders? totally unuseable .I HAVE to enter in a numeric value or I could be trying to bump the blacks by 1 or 2 and get 135 by using the slider.
This isn't an "optimizing for speed" issue. This is a totally unuseable issue and I can't believe that Adobe is even putting out a beta that does this crap. I know it's something on my computer going on. This is FAR beyond slow.
I even went so far as to export the images I finished last night, then totally remove them from the catalog to leave me with less images in the catalog. If LR4 beta can't handle 200 raw images in a catalog I can't imagine it handling a few thousand even after it's been optimized.
Something is not right here.

I am not having this issue with a photo as a single with LR4. I agree somehting is not right. I don't know what it is but I am sure this is not what they intended. The last time I had an issue that sounded like this was with Elements, and I got a new computer with this that and the other (the one I have now) and I had no issues ever again...

I found the answer
"Lightroom blows monkey balls"

Hahahah..seriously worst program ever and I used it all the way back to when it was Raw Shooter before Adobe bought it and monkey'd it up. At the time it was the best RAW program without a doubt

I only have it because a lot of the programs I review are plug-ins for Lightroom

I like a couple things, otherwise...it's annoying. But I am by far in the minority...and that's OK

Most reactions

New Topics

Back