Help! LR questions...

Discussion in 'Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery' started by MLeeK, Feb 23, 2012.

1. EIngerson

EIngerson Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    If that's the case I'd uninstall it and reinstall it.

But before that, check and see if your security program is scanning each operation because it's a download. My AVG free did that to a couple programs.

2. MLeeK

MLeeK TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I am not running virus program. My processing computer isn't on line and is only really used for processing. BUT I wonder if its maybe windows defender? I will have to look when I get home.

3. Helen B

Helen B TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Is there some confusion here between the virtual memory cache and the LR cache? The LR cache is in a permanent directory on the hard drive (including a virtual hard drive filled from permanent storage every time the computer starts if you have one, or solid state hard drive), not in virtual memory on the hard drive. It is where LR stores previews of images in the catalog. If the LR cache is too small, old previews will be deleted and have to be remade next time the image is loaded. If the cache is set to zero, no previews are held in the LR cache, because there is no LR cache. It isn't a choice between virtual memory and physical memory.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  4. MReid

MReid TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have the same problem with Lightroom 3. I am glad I didn't delete Lightroom 2.7, it is turbo fast.
    Lightroom 3 takes foorreeevver. I only use it now for auto sync noise reduction or lens correction, I plug it in and let it run when I have lots of time.

5. gerardo2068

gerardo2068 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There's has to be a problem with some of your computers or something. I just export 234 jpegs last night and it didn't even take 15 minutes.

So for me LR3 it's fast

6. MReid

MReid TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    For me the killer is when I select a photo in to edit it in the develop module.....takes for ever to render the photo so I can see it.
    I checked and as far as I can tell the settings are the same for 3 as they are in 2.7 which renders the photo to be edited almost instantly.

7. gerardo2068

gerardo2068 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Really I don't understand. Mine it's super fast in both of my computer.

Try unistalling all you can find and reinstall

8. MLeeK

MLeeK TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Mine is the rendering after applying a change that is SUPER slow. I am "ghetto" rigging it for now. I do almost everything in ACR-set my wb and everything. Then I am importing to LR with the wb done and just applying the preset.
    The export took forever last night... I just did another 50 images we'll see how this goes now.

I did disable windows defender's real time scan to see if that helped and upped the Cache to 3G. I'll let you know.

SCraig-you REALLY confused me when you said you don't use any Adobe products except for Acrobat... but in the post before you were talking about some limited use of LR... Totally didn't fit in my brain.

9. MLeeK

MLeeK TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Didn't help. :(

10. SCraig

SCraig Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sorry, you are right and I didn't realize that.

True that I don't use Adobe software much. I don't particularly have anything against Adobe, so I decided I'd download the demo of Lightroom and look at it a couple of months ago. I played with it for a little while, really only long enough to see that I didn't need another image catalog database. I didn't spend enough time with it to really even explore all of its capabilities since it was plain to me that what I already had worked better. Certainly less than an hour, probably less than 30 minutes. Hence my comment about "Limited use".

I apologize for the confusion. My mistake entirely.

11. GeorgieGirl

GeorgieGirl No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You know what....if the files have lots of noise, even though you can't see it, they are big and heavy and the noise needs to be turned down...how big are your jpeg files?

12. Rephargotohp

Rephargotohp TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Leeky,
    Is today the first you are using Lightroom and did you Import your entire computer's Photo files or alarge amount into it just today?

If that's so most of LR power is going to rendering Thumbnails, Sccreen res previews and 100% previews if you have the software set to do that on import.

That can take quite a while to get done if you have imported a huge amount of fiiles, You can usually see a progress bar in the upper left hand side if it is still rendering previews.

Until that is done, LR runs like mollases

Justa thought