Help! LR questions...

I found the answer
"Lightroom blows monkey balls"

Hahahah..seriously worst program ever and I used it all the way back to when it was Raw Shooter before Adobe bought it and monkey'd it up. At the time it was the best RAW program without a doubt

I only have it because a lot of the programs I review are plug-ins for Lightroom

I like a couple things, otherwise...it's annoying. But I am by far in the minority...and that's OK

I am a LR hater too. I just really wanted to play with the new tools that will be coming in the next ACR and see if it's all that with a side of special-ness. Evidently I will just wait until CS6. I knew I hated LR for a reason!

I'll be serious ...for a moment, Try updating the driver for your video card. a lot of slow issues in LR and CS 5 even have been traced to video card drivers especially nVidea cards

That's about the only thing I haven't tried.
I have uninstalled & reinstalled
disabled windows defender
Torn some hair out
made sure NOTHING else is running
disk clean up
disk defrag
health check
check disk
thrown things at the wall
disabled the cache
expanded the cache
Re-installed
turned the preview quality down
added a 16G jump drive to be used as ram
Torn more hair out, screamed bloody murder and turned into a raving b1tch.
Just about given up. But I just can't let it go!!! SOMETHING is going to click into place and BAM it's going to work-at least at a normal slow rate!

You need a Mac...:D
I REALLY do!!!!!
It needs to be a bulletproof Mac too.
I do have a macbook here somewhere... Of course it's probably an antique now. I think it's a G4? yeah, stone aged.
Someone want to tell my husband that I HAVE to spend a couple grand on a new computer system, plus calibration... OH and don't forget Mac copies of all of my software... That's almost as daunting as switching to nikon.

Isn't Lightroom 4 still in beta testing? Maybe it would be better to test for performance with Lightroom 3 and then get the 4th version demo when it official comes out (granted it should be fairly bug free by now, but you never know you might be one of the unlucky with an - as yet - unfixed problem).

If it still is in beta sending details to Adobe might well help .

Eh. Not worth the headache. I just wanted to play with the new toys. I have the LR3 disc here somewhere. I could install it. I just don't care for LR. It's just the new highlight and shadow tools I wanted to play with.
I'll live.

Interesting discussion. I haven't had any major issues with LR4...I actually like it quite a bit. But as a number of people have said it is beta which means not entirely done and optimization is a final step. I think Overread is right...it's probably not worth your time trying to work this issue any more until the demo is available. If you decide to try the demo reinstall it clean...after you uninstall the beta make sure all the cache files, etc. are gone (you could have something corrupted.) I have another thought...perhaps since it's not connected to the internet something is timing out. Unlikely since it's slow on rendering, etc. not an operation that you'd think care about the network but I've seen surprising network dependencies. Oh,one other thing I noticed...there are setting in both the catalog settings and preferences for preview quality...mine are set to medium..perhaps they got set to high?

Last edited:
I guess is preference, I don't like the endless clicking through folders in Bridge, or the layout in collections. virtual copies and others

There is no Bridge in LR....? That's why I quit Elements....

I don't use Bridge at all in LR3...dunno about you....and yes...no Bridge is better IMHO....

edit: Does LR really even have Bridge???

Last edited:
gerardo2068 said:
I guess is preference, I don't like the endless clicking through folders in Bridge, or the layout in collections. virtual copies and others

You don't actually have to click through a bunch of folders - you can set it up so that when you open a folder (with multiple folders inside) it will just show you all the pictures. That's what I hated about bridge in the beginning - having to click through a bunch of folders. But there is a way around it.

You can change bridge to work and look any way you want it to-and I have. I MUCH prefer bridge and ACR to Lightroom. As I was TRYING to use LR4 I ran into my same old problem as I did in the past-colorspace and things looking significantly different in LR than what I would get out of ACR/PS when using sRGB. I ended up with some VERY cool images because I'd get to LR and see that what I had adjusted in ACR looked very warm/magenta... fix it... Then process for print and sports and low and behold it was cool. I HATE being forced to work in that ProPhoto colorspace. Among other things in LR.

Most reactions

Back