HELP ME!!! Canon 400D ^^or^^ Nikon D80..

deggimatt

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to buy a new SLR. I know that the 400D and D80 are great cameras and they do not cost very much. In your opion what seems the best of the Two?, or if you have other cameras in mind, tell me.

Thanks

come on, be nice, don't stretch his budget ;)

Actually I am not sure if the 400D and the D80 are in the same league (price-wise and camera-wise)

isn't the ordering

D40 400D D80 30D D200 5D and so on in an alternating Nikon/Canon manner ;) ?

just a provocative idea ;)

Hehe i'll go for the 1D Mk III..... you stretched my budget!!!
Between the d80 and the 400d there is no big price gap.
I need your help to choose.

Between the d80 and the 400d there is no big price gap.

OK, I', no expert in that range I have to say, sorry.

I need your help to choose.

Hmm, do you have the chance to try each of them out? got friends who would let you do so? Or maybe just play around in the shops with them.

I think this decision cannot be made via advice, but only via personal taste. Both are certainly nice cameras.

Personally I would prefer the D80, because to me it seems better built, I prefer the controls, it has more metering options, a brighter viewfinder and various other little things that make it more attractive to me. But like you said, they're both great cameras, so it's really got to be a matter of personal preference and may come down to which 'feels' right to you when handling them in a store (which I strongly recommend you do before buying). Do bear in mind however that the camera body is only part of the SLR system, so you might want to look at what lenses, flashes and other accessories Canon and Nikon offer and how they compete on performance and price. For example if you want to mainly build up a collection of fast prime lenses Canon's seem more competitively priced. Also consider whether you're likely to go for a higher-end camera body later on, and if so then what will be your priorities? For example would a full-frame sensor be important, or would you be looking for something with the build quality of a D200? Just a few things to think about... but it' still got to be your choice.

The 400D is $200 cheaper, and has a smidge less noise at high ISOs. In general though, image quality is pretty much identical. Have you had an opportunity to handle the cameras? You may find that one has a button placement, how the menus operate, etc... that you prefer over the other. I don't imagine either camera would disappoint you.

I haven't yet had the opportunity to handle the cameras.
Looking forward to do it. The cameras on the net are more than half price from my local photo shop or agent here in Malta.

The D80 doesn't feel like a toy. The rebel feels like a big point-n-shoot..

EDIT: wow, rebel and big in the same sentence.

So you prefer the 400D?

I personally would go for the 400D since my brain gets along better with Canon controls (early training ;) ) .. but that is just me!

On the other hand, I prefer sort of bulkier cameras, which the 400D is not, so well ... try it out!

How about the Pentax K10D, which cost the same as the Canon EOS 400D? (Body only price.)

The pentax was also on my mind, but there is no vast selection of lenses and its a bit noisy on high ISO.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back