HELP ME!!! Canon 400D ^^or^^ Nikon D80..

Both Nikon and Canon make cameras which will deliver similar images. If you have a series of photos, some taken with D80 and some with a 400D, you wouldn't be able to tell them apart. (hell, you could also toss in photos from a D200, 30D, DX2, MKII, MKIIN, 5D and MKIII ... up to an 8x10 at ISO 200 you wouldn't be able tell which camera and or even which system the photos derived.)

As to controls ... for the most part they don't matter because after a few workouts with either camera you will fully adapt to its layout and design. The Nikon controls and layout won't significantly speed up or slow down the photo taking process over the Canon ... just as Canon controls and layout won't significantly speed up or slow the photo taking process over Nikon. Even if you initially prefer one over the other ... it doesn't matter because you will adapt to the Nikon way or the Canon way ...making controls trivial.

There are two principal reasons to for moving up to a dSLR. The first being The System. The main component of the system are lenses ... so when you buy, don't think in terms of camera but think in terms of lenses. I heard it described that a camera is like a wife, they can come and go ... but lenses are like children ... they are with you forever.

The second is capability. What can and cannot the camera and the camera system do for you? Do you have any specific interests ... and which camera system addresses that interest best? (like astro-photography or macro)

At this point in time Canon has the better system. More lenses for digital photography (but how many do you need ... right), better availability of lenses and more options for upgrading.

This doesn't mean that in a few years Nikon won't close the gap or even supersede Canon. But Canon isn't standing still. Presently Nikon seems to be concentrating on the entry level cameras and lenses while Canon is focusing on the higher end cameras and lenses.

Personally, I would go with Canon because I feel (having used both systems) that the Canon CMOS sensor and associated firmware is significantly better than the Nikon/Sony CCD sensor and firmware at ISO 800 and higher. And I shoot a lot of sports and available light and routinely need high ISO. A wedding photographer I know just switched from Nikon to Canon because of the better image quality (IQ) at higher ISO of the 5D. He even had a Fuji S3 which is supposed to be the ultimate in IQ at all ISOs ... he found Canon to be superior. After saying all this I realized that you are looking at the 400D, and actually, the IQ at higher ISO with the 400D is about the same as Nikon. Only if you upgrade to a 30D or better will this be a significant factor. (Canon packed so many pixels in an APS-C sensor on the 400D that it's not as clean in shadows or at higher ISO as their other sensors/cameras.)

To recap-

Canon has a better system. (But how many lenses can you use ... if you don't plan to upgrade this isn't all that important.)

Nikon feels better. (While true, personally I love the feel of Nikon ... but then again Canon's feel is not painful or horrible. Kinda like car seats, one type of car has a very comfy seat while another has a seat that is comfy but not quite as comfy ... after a block you won't notice the difference between comfy and very comfy as you'll just be concentrating on getting to your destination.)

Nikon has superior flash control firmware.

In the States, the Canon is about $200 less than the Nikon.
Is the Nikon 30% better than Canon. $200 can go a long way towards a lens.

Good Luck,
Gary

Thank you very much Gary you helped me very much!
Matt

Most reactions

Back