Help me choose an entry-level dSLR

I think ergonomics is a very important point to consider. Your wife should be able to choose the camera that feels best to her. When I've had, in my photographic time, a pentax body, a minolta body(film), a canon body and 4 nikon bodies. Nikon for me felt the best when I picked them up. I also have large hands though, someone with smaller hands may find a body that I find comfortable, not not quite fit their hands their same.
I seriously recommend having your wife try out bodies to let her feel which one is best.

Reading all the reviews is making me kind of confused. I should take the wife to B&H in the city to have her play with the cameras and sort of "put to a face to the name". I agree that it is important to see how the camera feels in ones hand before purchasing one.

If a d 5000 has no focus motor it has nothing to do with older or off brand lenses that won't work. DX or AFS lenses have the motor in the lense and they are not good for when you advance. I know this because I just bought some new lenses that are AF and nikon brand lenses for my D40 and they don't have focus motors so I have to manually focus so it obviously is not just old lenses laying around that don't have the motor it is the new ones also. I am grateful that most nikon lenses are not capable of working with my D40 because it taught me how to do things manually. Do not buy a nikon if you are going to be stuck with one specific type of lense and not be able to advance. You can get a D90 that tons of people love and it focuses with any nikon lense even AF or DX and you can get them for a little over $700 now. I think it is body only. I have been looking for lenses and many times I find complaints about the lenses because people just bought a D5000 and can't use auto focus on their new camera. If you look at nikon lenses on amazon you see tons of these complaints. I am still using my D40 but I have upgraded my lenses and my next camera is a D90. I used a D5000 and I loved it but i would hate to be stuck with those DX lenses. I say get a canon or a D90. Sell some junk and buy the lenses for it. The 50mm is a good basic lense and is only $124 dollars. Here are some links to what I am talking about. D90 also does small videos. I also threw my DX lenses in the trash because the mount that holds it in the camera is plastic and they keep breaking and everytime I fix it I have to buy a $20 kit. Most any other AF lense is going to have a metal mount.https://

This whole post shows how little that you know about Nikons. I am an advocate for buying whatever feels best for each person (physically and financially) and am not a Nikon fanboi, but please don't spread this uninformed information.

First, the DX line of lenses does not mean that they have plastic mounts. Yes, some of them do, but DX is reffering to the sensor size that the lenses are designed for.

Second, the AF motor. Some people get really hung up on this but the truth is that there are only a handful (of newer lenses) that won't autofocus, but there are plenty that will and third party companies make plenty the the AF works on also. There are way more lens compatibility issues with Canon than Nikon anyways (if you want to split hairs)

Third, how do you break that many lens mounts? Are you throwing your camera around?

OP, go to a camera store and play with the different models and find one that works well for you.

The Canon t1i offers every feature as the Nikons mention and more, plus the advantage of being compatible with all Canon Eos lenses unlike the Nikons which only work with select lenses.

There will never be the headache of "Oh, will this lens auto-focus on my camera?"

Every Canon lens since 1984 will work on the t1i.

I know that lenses are very important for DSLR cameras. There are probably more Canon/Nikon lenses out there because they sell more cameras, but Sony/Olympus' cameras seem to be a lot cheaper for the same stats. Is there any serious downside to getting one of those? Are their lenses lower quality or more expensive? (initial saving on the purchase of the camera can be overshadowed by more expensive future lenses).
As a Sony user myself I would stay away from that brand if you think you may progress to a more serious hobbyist. I rationalized my decision to start with Sony (started with the A100) by telling myself that I'm really buying a Minolta with a new name, and that Sony actually produces the sensors for Nikon....so it should be just a good in quality.

The built in image stabilization is nice, and it's an incredibly cheap system to be married to (used Minolta equipment is ubiquitous, everywhere, and cheap). However, the ISO performance on my A-700 is beyond pathetic considering this is one of Sony's prosumer models. Most of my shooting is done indoors, so a high ISO is often needed. If I go much higher than 400 noise starts creeping into the equation. Going over an ISO of 800 and noise is beyond distracting (to me anyway).

It's a cheaper camera, but this is a case where you get what you pay for. I've quit buying Sony-specific equipment because as soon as I can afford it I'm going to swap to either Canon or Nikon and sell all my Sony gear.

For a more detailed review you can see what I put on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-12-24MP-...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1). I gave it a 3 star review and I'm the reviewer P. Carboni.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As a Sony user myself I would stay away from that brand if you think you may progress to a more serious hobbyist.

It's a cheaper camera, but this is a case where you get what you pay for. I've quit buying Sony-specific equipment because as soon as I can afford it I'm going to swap to either Canon or Nikon and sell all my Sony gear.

So even though the initial camera costs more with Canon or Nikon, it is worth it for the sake of future progress?

Your talked about doing research on primary shooting style (indoors or outdoors, people or landscapes, etc.) before going with a particular camera system. I think our primary shooting will be done mostly outdoors for landscape. We will also use it to take photo of our son. My son just learned to run, so now he's running around so fast that his picture come out blurry on our point-and-shoot.

Last edited:
As a Sony user myself I would stay away from that brand if you think you may progress to a more serious hobbyist.

So even though the initial camera costs more with Canon or Nikon, it is worth it for the sake of future progress?

I would have. The entry level cameras may all be about the same as far as image quality, but by the time you get into the more expensive models (Canon 7D, Nikon D300, etc.) Sony just doesn't quite cut it.

You really just have to decide what you're primary subjects will be. If you're going to be outside in plenty of light I think the Sony would be fine...but if you see yourself doing a lot of indoor photography having a camera that handles high ISO settings well should be a priority.

A little more searching around yields more good prices on the Canon/Nikon cameras:

D3000 $450
Best Price Electronics
XS $460
BuyersEdge - Canon EOS Rebel XS Digital SLR Camera 18-55mm IS Lens Black 2762B003
T1i $610
Best Price Electronics
D5000 $649
Best Price Electronics

Three of the price quotes are from a site called Best Price Electronics, the other one is from Buyer's Edge. They both seems to do a lot of business in SLR cameras. I have never heard of them. Has anyone on this forum done any business with them? Are they trustworthy?

I have decided to get the camera with only 1 lens. This is because I am unsure if we will be needing that second 55-200mm lens, and judging from the price, it is probably not a high quality lens anyway. When we advance, we will probably want a better second lens. Let me know if this reasoning makes no sense.

I appreciate anyone's helpful input. Many thanks!

I like B & H, great prices and excellent service.

The prices those cut-rate places are advertising are considered warning signs among those of us who have been buying cameras and photo gear for very long...the margins on camera gear are very small, and places, almost always in New York City, advertising photo gear at prices substantially below prevailing prices are usually clip joints. One can simply not expect to buy a camera at prices well,well below those seen at Best Buy, or B&H, Adorama, etc, unless there is some type of bait and switch or add-on warranty or accessory sales,etc. Places like this prey upon newcomers like yourself, and play games of phone-tag, oh-it's-only-available-with-a-warranty, oh-the-battery-is-an-extra-cost, and oh, if-you-want-a-neckstrap-that's-another- $13.95...

Steer clear of cut-rate web sites!

A little more searching around yields more good prices on the Canon/Nikon cameras:

D3000 $450
Best Price Electronics
XS $460
BuyersEdge - Canon EOS Rebel XS Digital SLR Camera 18-55mm IS Lens Black 2762B003
T1i $610
Best Price Electronics
D5000 $649
Best Price Electronics

Three of the price quotes are from a site called Best Price Electronics, the other one is from Buyer's Edge. They both seems to do a lot of business in SLR cameras. I have never heard of them. Has anyone on this forum done any business with them? Are they trustworthy?

I have decided to get the camera with only 1 lens. This is because I am unsure if we will be needing that second 55-200mm lens, and judging from the price, it is probably not a high quality lens anyway. When we advance, we will probably want a better second lens. Let me know if this reasoning makes no sense.

I appreciate anyone's helpful input. Many thanks!

Now I am just a beginner so take it for what it is worth but I have the D5000 and to me the the 18-55mm lense and the 55-200mm lense that you get in the package deals neither are what you would call high quality from what I have read. However both are still good lenses for the price you pay.

here are some examples of what the 55mm-200mm can do. Now please consider that all of these were just snaps shots I took on vacation and didn't really take time to make sure all settings were correct.

1. taken at 35mm for the top of the St. Louis Arch through windows that probably haven't been cleaned on the outside since the thing was built :lol:

StLouis047.jpg

2. Same shot at 200mm

StLouis050.jpg

the next 3 were all taken at 200mm with the subject at least 200 feet or more from me.

StLouis454.jpg

StLouis188.jpg

StLouis459.jpg

I bought my D5000 at Adorama. It was a Nikon refurbished unit. I paid $512 which included 18-55mm VR lens. It only had 300 shots, and it was professionally boxed and wrapped. I have no regrets. Maybe this is a route you can follow.

The only thing I regret was not getting a D90 for the internal AF motor. But at the time, the D90 was not available refurbished. I do wish sometimes I could use all of Nikon's lenses. But there's nothing wrong with my D5000 itself.

If a d 5000 has no focus motor it has nothing to do with older or off brand lenses that won't work. DX or AFS lenses have the motor in the lense and they are not good for when you advance. I know this because I just bought some new lenses that are AF and nikon brand lenses for my D40 and they don't have focus motors so I have to manually focus so it obviously is not just old lenses laying around that don't have the motor it is the new ones also. I am grateful that most nikon lenses are not capable of working with my D40 because it taught me how to do things manually. Do not buy a nikon if you are going to be stuck with one specific type of lense and not be able to advance. You can get a D90 that tons of people love and it focuses with any nikon lense even AF or DX and you can get them for a little over $700 now. I think it is body only. I have been looking for lenses and many times I find complaints about the lenses because people just bought a D5000 and can't use auto focus on their new camera. If you look at nikon lenses on amazon you see tons of these complaints. I am still using my D40 but I have upgraded my lenses and my next camera is a D90. I used a D5000 and I loved it but i would hate to be stuck with those DX lenses. I say get a canon or a D90. Sell some junk and buy the lenses for it. The 50mm is a good basic lense and is only $124 dollars. Here are some links to what I am talking about. D90 also does small videos. I also threw my DX lenses in the trash because the mount that holds it in the camera is plastic and they keep breaking and everytime I fix it I have to buy a $20 kit. Most any other AF lense is going to have a metal mount.

This whole post shows how little that you know about Nikons. I am an advocate for buying whatever feels best for each person (physically and financially) and am not a Nikon fanboi, but please don't spread this uninformed information.

First, the DX line of lenses does not mean that they have plastic mounts. Yes, some of them do, but DX is reffering to the sensor size that the lenses are designed for.

Second, the AF motor. Some people get really hung up on this but the truth is that there are only a handful (of newer lenses) that won't autofocus, but there are plenty that will and third party companies make plenty the the AF works on also. There are way more lens compatibility issues with Canon than Nikon anyways (if you want to split hairs)

Third, how do you break that many lens mounts? Are you throwing your camera around?

OP, go to a camera store and play with the different models and find one that works well for you.

There are no AF lenses that focus on a D40 and if a D5000 has no focus motor in the camera it will not focus with an AF lense. The DX lense may have to do with the sensor size but they are also AF-S lense not AF and only AF-S lenses will auto focus on a Nikon with no motor in the camera. If you know of any AF lenses that will focus on a camera with no focus motor please please please tell me because no camera shops that I have been to in the Tampa or Orlando area have heard of them and I have been told over and over that I made a mistake buying this camera because of the no focus motor issue. I have all AF lenses now and they are new and none will focus on this camera. So if I am spreading false information it is because I am getting false information from the camera shops and several photographers who have been helping me find lenses. And though some DX lenses may have metal mounts so far in my journey in lense shopping DX lenses are the only lense I have seen with them so this also is not false information. I also never said Nikon has compatability issues only the ones with no focus motor. I would tell someone to buy a canon before they buy a camera that has to have only one type of lense such a DX AF-S plastic crap.

Hey Rosshole check out the post "What Nikon?" and tell him what you told me and see if you can intoduce him to those lenses you say exist but don't. Meanwhile you keep telling people to buy crap they will be stuck with.

I have a question about the kit lenses. Take Canon T1i for example, I can buy it with 2 kit lenses: EF-S 18-55mm and 55-250mm for $830 at Newegg.com. Or for the same total amount, I can get the body only and a Sigma 18-200mm lens (600 for body, about 230 for lens), which seems to do the jobs of both Canon starter lenses:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-18-200mm-3-5-6-3-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0007U0GYS/ref=sr_1_35?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1280189273&sr=1-35]Amazon.com: Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras:…[/ame]
This should be easier to carry around and avoid the need to constantly change lenses. I don't know anything about lenses, so I am not sure if the Sigma one is going to be as good as the two Canons combined.

Most reactions

Back