What's new

Help me choose my first dslr-!

Quizmaster

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 6, 2011
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Good afternoon...i am new to the forum and looking for some advice into what is the best camera and lense(s) for what i want to achieve...
I have had a bridge camera for a while now...and i would like to purchase my first dsrl as i am finding limitations with my current camera.

I have had a look at different cameras...there are so many...i dont really know where to start...so i thought i would ask on here...to see what people thought would be suitable for me.

I do a lot of eventing photography for horses...and whilst i have 'got by' with my camera at the moment...i need something better to take my photos to the next level.

Have had a look at the Nikon D90 and the Canon 550D as the ones which i have looked at in more detail lately...what do people think of those? for sport and also horse eventing? have also had a look at the Nikon D5000 which looks a nice camera.

The Nikon D3000 also seems nice...see my problem now...there are just so many to choose from. Then i have also looked at the Canon EOS 1000D

Dont want to spend loads...as this is my first dslr...but want something that will do the job and do it well...

Any views would be great thank you everyone.
 
Whats your budget roughly?

That will help us get a better idea of how we can help so far if you can afford it the D90 is the best camera you've asked about. But maybe we can do some fiddling with your budget and see if you can get a 40D or something!
 
Whats your budget roughly?

That will help us get a better idea of how we can help so far if you can afford it the D90 is the best camera you've asked about. But maybe we can do some fiddling with your budget and see if you can get a 40D or something!

Thanks very much for your reply Formatted...erm i would really like to limit the spend to around £700...as that would be quite a jump from my last camera...and hopefully i can get something nice for £700...thank you again for your help...and i look forward to more replies. :thumbup:
 

Well now you've got a lot of choice!

May I suggest you buy yourself a D90 they are a great cameras, if you can find one in good knick for about £400 no more than £500 you'll be doing good! Then you'll need a lense, may I also suggest the 18-200 Nikkor VR lense, they are about £360 new but you should be able to find one cheaper with any luck. This will have enough reach for your horse riding!

When I photograph BE 100 events I generally only use a 70-200 so you'll be on to a winner with the 18-200! You'll be able to go wide and long.

Hope thats helped
 

Well now you've got a lot of choice!

May I suggest you buy yourself a D90 they are a great cameras, if you can find one in good knick for about £400 no more than £500 you'll be doing good! Then you'll need a lense, may I also suggest the 18-200 Nikkor VR lense, they are about £360 new but you should be able to find one cheaper with any luck. This will have enough reach for your horse riding!

When I photograph BE 100 events I generally only use a 70-200 so you'll be on to a winner with the 18-200! You'll be able to go wide and long.

Hope thats helped

Hi again formatted...you are being a great help...such a nice couple of replies...thank you...i have just been looking at the D90...it seems a very nice camera...and it seems to get very good reviews...do you know if i would be able to find some sport pictures that have been taken with a D90...either on the forum or on the internet...or is that something which is generally hard to find?

Thank you again for your time...the D90 looks lovely.
 
or is that something which is generally hard to find?

Its actually really easy, Pixel-Peeper -- Over a million full-size sample photos from lenses, SLR cameras and digicams. searches through the tags on photos of flickr a-lot like google would but then provides you with examples! These are for the D90 - Full-size sample photos from Nikon D90

Or you can use Flickr itself - Flickr: Camera Finder: Nikon: D90 if you go down to the expandable menu at the bottom you can see some examples of "action" shots.

The D90 was Nikons top entry-level camera till it was replaced by the D7000 in September, but for your budget and your requirements its perfect for you
 
Wow...excellent links...thank you...i will have a look through those! thank you again for how helpful you have been...its great that the D90 sounds like what i want...as i was worried i would have to spend thousands of pounds to get what i wanted...i am going to have a look at those pictures with a D90.
 
Formatted...that site is amazing...so many nice photos on there...it also helps to see what settings the camera has used for those photos too...a bit of inspiration and the settings at the same time! thank you again for being so helpful.
 
thank you again for being so helpful.

Absolutely not problem! Photography is my passion and I love sharing it, there will probably be a few people chipping in with some more comments below so if you hang around they might suggest something else! The more view points the better :)
 
I tried a D5000 once as a backup, its lack of focus motor for lenses was a real handy cap for me as I have several lenses which it would not focus.

So, if you like to get older or specialty lenses, it could hold you back.

To see glamour and event shots, all shot with a D90, browse galleries at Glamour Photography Scottsdale Phoenix Arizona

Me, am thinking of a D7000, decissions, decissions...
 
In your budget parameters, I think you'd be thrilled with the D90. It's the least expensive of the Nikon DSLR's which have the focus motor in the camera, not the lens. This is a significant issue compared with the few additional features/performance that the newer models in the same basic price-range offer. Of course, I own a D90, so I'm not completely objective on this issue! Good Luck!
 
GO TO THE STORE AND CHOOSE YOURSELF!

This really...

But before you do that...feel free to ask questions to help maked an informed decision, so you're not stuck with a Best Buy associate who knows everything there is to know about megapixels and auto exposure modes.
 
Does your budget include money for a lens?

I'm converted to buying gear used, not bought a single thing for my SLR new except my 70-200 (and I regret not buying used).

What I would recommend is going to a shop and trying them out. See what ones fit you better (it sounds stupid but you'll almost certainly have a preference). Decide what features you need and don't need, that should certainly guide you towards the right camera.

A quick look on ebay brings up a 40D body for £375, and a 50mm f/1.8 for £70. If you're comfortable buying used I'd certainly consider doing so.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom