What's new

Help me choose my first dslr-!

Bram - thanks for the writing but if i were to go to the store and choose myself i would have done that without asking on here first...i wanted reviews and suggestions...which i have received...im not really sure of the point of your post in all honesty.

As for people not buying new...what if things go wrong with the camera? are repairs fairly easy? as this needs to be taken into consideration...thank you.
 
I've never had anything go wrong with my second hand gear (touch wood). The only things would be a sticky pop up flash on my 20D (which doesn't bother me in the slightest) and I bought a cheap Sigma 28-70mm and it didn't work on either of my bodies (this was my fault, I assumed it would - always check with people who know before committing to buying).

My thinking is, that most photographers don't spend a heck of a lot of money on gear and trash it, so it should be well looked after (maybe not if it was used by a pro though). But the guy I bought my 20D from was a pro and it did everything I needed it to, and it's still going strong today. The gear is built to last (perhaps not the shutters though!). Ebay's policy seems to strongly favour the buyer so I've never thought twice about buying used from them.

One consideration with second hand bodies is the shutter life. With some cameras you can find out how many times the shutter has clicked, but not on all of them. So it might have a shorter life. But shutters can be replaced. If you're good with manual work and confident enough you can do it yourself, otherwise it'll cost a bit to get it replaced for you. How much I don't know, I've never had to do it yet.

Think about the glass more than the body though, the glass really is the limiting factor on your image quality.

Have fun looking! I always enjoy looking for new gear, but not at my bank balance!
 
For that much cash pickup a Nikon D90, a Nikon 35mm f/1.8 lens and a Nikon 55-200mm kit lens.
 
Yep bought most of my lenses and bodies used on craigslist. And have had nothing but success. And just picked up my D90 used a couple of month's ago. But do have the luxury to see and use before buying.

Yep even new price the D90 is worth it. And a great camera you can grow in too.
.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom