Help me choose my future "pro gear"

I dont want to buy used body and used flashs, because here in brazil we dont have very reliable places to fix if anything goes wrong. Also this services are very expensive here. I rather buy then new to avoid future issues.

Gear breaks, whether it's new or used. The best thing to do is ship it back to Nikon.

I dont want to buy used body and used flashs, because here in brazil we dont have very reliable places to fix if anything goes wrong. Also this services are very expensive here. I rather buy then new to avoid future issues.

Gear breaks, whether it's new or used. The best thing to do is ship it back to Nikon.

That's true, but statistically, a new one will last longer than a used one. Its just safer that way haha.

(2) You are shipping the online purchases to an USA address located outside the New York state (could be a hotel, for instance)...

So, if you're going to visit Washington, order online and ship it to your hotel there?

Yes, that works.

B&H used department is amazing.
They are careful and trustful with their buyers.

On the taxes, B&H will NOT charge you the taxes IF you meet these two criteria together:
(1) You are buying online with B&H (bhphotovideo.com)
(2) You are shipping the online purchases to an USA address located outside the New York state (could be a hotel, for instance).

If you meet these two criteria above, B&H will not charge you the taxes, and you can save a bit more. I did that many time, with no problem. It works just fine.

See this:
Sales Tax | B&H Photo Video

Local Sales Tax
If the order is shipped within New York State , the law requires that local sales tax be added to the order total including the amount of the shipping charge.
We do not collect tax for orders shipped out of New York State. Purchases in our store are subject to an 8.875% local sales tax. This tax is not a VAT, and cannot be recovered by non-USA visitors when returning home.

(2) You are shipping the online purchases to an USA address located outside the New York state (could be a hotel, for instance)...

So, if you're going to visit Washington, order online and ship it to your hotel there?

Great advice! I think i will order online and send all to Washington. I have a relative living there! Can i buy used stuff online too? Didnt find on the site.

Anyway, thanks a lot guys!

Yes for both questions.

I kinda felt in love with the d810 and the 14-24mm, i dont think i will give up on those two haha

I was feeling the same.

The D810 is amazing. Don't even think twice. Just get it.

I was very close to buy a 14-24mm to go with the D810 as well. Amazing lens. No doubt.
However, it is as heavy as it is good. Over 2kg together with the D810.
I found that a new (2013 design) lens from Nikon is as sharp as the 14-24mm, and is less than 400g in weight.
This is the Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5 G ED. You lose the 14-18mm area, but you gain the 24-35mm flexibility.
As a super wide angle, the aperture not being 2.8 is not a huge factor for landscapes at all.
I bought that one instead, and with the D810, it is super light, ultra sharp even wide open, fast to focus, and very flexible.

Here is the DxO comparison with the D800E, as the D810 lens data is not yet available there.
Nikkor AF-S NIKKOR 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED on Nikon D800E versus Nikkor AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED on Nikon D800E - Side by side lens comparison - DxOMark

Have a look for yourself in all data analysis tabs in above link.
It is a great alternative to the amazing 14-24mm.

I kinda felt in love with the d810 and the 14-24mm, i dont think i will give up on those two haha

I was feeling the same.

The D810 is amazing. Don't even think twice. Just get it.

I was very close to buy a 14-24mm to go with the D810 as well. Amazing lens. No doubt.
However, it is as heavy as it is good. Over 2kg together with the D810.
I found that a new (2013 design) lens from Nikon is as sharp as the 14-24mm, and is less than 400g in weight.
This is the Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5 G ED. You lose the 14-18mm area, but you gain the 24-35mm flexibility.
As a super wide angle, the aperture not being 2.8 is not a huge factor for landscapes at all.
I bought that one instead, and with the D810, it is super light, ultra sharp even wide open, fast to focus, and very flexible.

Here is the DxO comparison with the D800E, as the D810 lens data is not yet available there.
Nikkor AF-S NIKKOR 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED on Nikon D800E versus Nikkor AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED on Nikon D800E - Side by side lens comparison - DxOMark

Have a look for yourself in all data analysis tabs in above link.
It is a great alternative to the amazing 14-24mm.

OR!!! The 16-35 f4 VRII. You get wide to moderate angles of view, constant f4 aperture, VR, and an amazing lens! On the D800 it performs pretty much flawlessly...

I will say that you cant have a better setup in opinion then what i currently use and i worked hard to obtain it but it was well worth it. Or if you willing to sell your soul or perhaps some body parts that might work too hehe.

Nikon equivalent im sure is great too.

• EOS 1DX
  • EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM II
  • EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM II
  • EF16-35 2.8L USM
  • EF 85MM F/1.2L USM II
  • 6x Speedlite 600EX-RT

OR!!! The 16-35 f4 VRII. You get wide to moderate angles of view, constant f4 aperture, VR, and an amazing lens! On the D800 it performs pretty much flawlessly...

Yes, absolutely.
Here the DxO link including the 16-35mm as well, with the D800E, for comparison.

Nikkor AF-S NIKKOR 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED on Nikon D800E versus Nikkor AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED on Nikon D800E versus Nikkor AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR on Nikon D800E - Side by side lens comparison - DxOMark

By far, the three best wide angle zoom lenses available for Nikon's D8x0 family.

Yes, absolutely.
Here the DxO link including the 16-35mm as well, with the D800E, for comparison.

Nikkor AF-S NIKKOR 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED on Nikon D800E versus Nikkor AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED on Nikon D800E versus Nikkor AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR on Nikon D800E - Side by side lens comparison - DxOMark

By far, the three best wide angle zoom lenses available for Nikon's D8x0 family.

I should add that I'm heavily invested into Lee's 100mm filter system, and my landscape lens HAD to be able to take filters. While I know the 14-24 is a sexy beast, it's just that: a beast that can't take filters. So the decision was made before I even thought about it, haha.

I would choose the 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 instead of the 24-120 f4 and 70-200 f4.

Thanks, guys! I will heavily consider these other two ultra wide lenses. I think the 14-24mm will not fit my budget anyway :/
This site is very good btw (dxomark.com), didnt know it lol

The 24-70 is not wide enough neither is tele enough for me to justify... I need a very versatile lens for a walk around. If i need to swap lenses, i will swap from ultra wide to tele anyway. Honestly, i am almost thinking about giving up this 24-120 and thinking about buy another camera to have 1 tele and 1 ultra wide and not swap lenses... Maybe a d610 as a secondary, or a d7100 for tele only.
I've already decided to take the 70-200 2.8 tamron instead of the f/4 from nikon.

Last edited:
What most annoys me with that gear is:
1- The slow focus from both the camera and this lens.
2- Few focus point (9).
3- Ultra high noise in iso above 800. I barely move the iso from 100, except when its absolutely needed.
4- 18mm is not enough wide wise for me (in a crop sensor).
5- 135mm is not enough range for me in some cases.
6- The lack of an external flash for some shots.

1. Pre-focus manually on a spot where the skater will be.
2. (see above)
3. Use more light.
4. Obtain different lenses.
5. (see above)
6. Obtain flash.

I'm with Designer. It sounds like you haven't mastered the equipment you have and are looking to improve your photography by buying new gear. You might be disappointed after you spend all that money but if you insist, go ahead. It is your money after all.

1. That's impossible in some cases, like in championships or downhill events, you just dont know what trick and when the rider will do it.
2. I need more focus point to be able to compose better, including the situations where i know what the rider will do.
3. Its impossible sometimes, like in sunset or sunrise, when i am already shooting open wide and i need a high shutter speed to freeze the action, and the rider. The only option is to increase the iso.
4. Thats the point of the thread hehe
5. -
6. Thats another point of the thread :p

Anyway, thanks for your opnion

Gosh, I don't know how we used to get sports photographs for so long using cameras without autofocus and only one focus point and only ASA 400 film. Oh, wait, I remember. We did it like Designer advised.

Remove the 24-120
Omit the Nikon 50mm 1.4 and get the Sigma Art version instead
Get a think tank roller derby to store the lot.

The Sigma 50/1.4 ART lens is expensive, but it's a very high-resolution lens. The 14-24mm f/2.8 Nikkor is HUGE, and lacks filter options on a lens that really needs filter options for much "serious" landscape work, and it also comes up woefully SHORT on focal length for general use. 24 to 28mm is a big gap; 24 to 35mm is a HUGE lack of critical focal lengths; that is why the standard professional wide-angle lens for decades was a 20-35mm; then a 17-35mm; then a 16-35mm. COnsider Nikon's 16-35mm f/4 VR as being as good a lens as the 14-24mm, but with smaller size, filters, lighter, optics that are equally good in most ways, and actually a lens you will WANT TO TAKE with you, and not leave at home, like the 14-24mm 2.8.

The VR of the 16-35 offsets the f/4 aperture. Shooting at f/2.8 with most lenses is stupid anyway, it really is unless it's a super-tele. The "new Nikkors" and "the new Sigma" lenses that are of RECENT design and manufacture, even the fairly lowly lenses like the NEW 18-35, and the NEW 24-85 VR, and the new 16-35 VR,and so on, like the NEW 85mm f/1.8 AF-S G, are all designed with the 36MP FX and 24MP DX Nikon bodies in mind, to perform up to the common bodies of their era.

Think about NEW lens designs for a new era.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back