Help me choose my future "pro gear"

For me, I would drop the 50mm. You have it covered. I know I just wouldn't use it enough to be worthwhile.

This^

buy used, save half your budget.

Agreed, or refurbished if possible. This will save you a small fortune on your list. BH & Adorama are both respected online dealers who both carry used and refurbished gear.

Where do you recomend to buy used? I am not going to stay there very long (around 10 days), and i am afraid to buy these kind of things online and dont receive it on time... Also, i dont know how to pay in that case, because i wont have a lot of money with me, only credit/debit card. Does Ebay accept credit/debit card?

Are you now visiting a large US city? Locate a camera store in that city and go there. Look at what they have available. Determine if anything fits your needs and is within your budget. Hand him your credit card. Return to Brazil with updated equipment.

Do not forget you need to pay tax when you buy at B&H. I see you already busted your budget with your list.

Good Point.. in NYC, I think the sales tax is somewhere around 8.875%? So, you're looking at around $800 tax at your $9K budget.

no it doesnt.

Tamron apparently have some auto-focus issues in low light conditions... I dont know how much i can trust in this kind of reviews, but i rather take the nikon version because of that. I really need to count on a reliable auto-focus system.

It's up to you. Do what's best for you.
What I can tell you is that I never experimented such issues, at all. I use the new updated version of this lens.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will consider this lens over the nikon, then!

Do not forget you need to pay tax when you buy at B&H. I see you already busted your budget with your list.

Dammit! Did not know that :(
How much is the fee?
thanks for the info

Good Point.. in NYC, I think the sales tax is somewhere around 8.875%? So, you're looking at around $800 tax at your $9K budget.

Assuming NYC.

Drive down to Delaware. No tax there.

What about this.

Nikon D800 Used ~ 2500
Nikon 16-35 f4 VRII ~ 1200new
Nikon 50mm 1.8G ~ 200
Nikon 85mm 1.8G ~ 500
Nikon 70-200 VRI Used ~ 1500
Nikon 24-70 2.8 Used ~ 1500
3x Nikon SB700 ~ 900
LowePro Vertex 200AW ~ 200

That's $8500 or so, and is a solid base of gear, IMO. Which leaves you money for taxes, memory cards, etc.

You need GOOD flash gear for stopping skaters. You may want to look into Alienbee Einstein's in lieu of the SB700's, too.

Jake

For me, I would drop the 50mm. You have it covered. I know I just wouldn't use it enough to be worthwhile.

This^

buy used, save half your budget.

Agreed, or refurbished if possible. This will save you a small fortune on your list. BH & Adorama are both respected online dealers who both carry used and refurbished gear.

Didnt know B&H had used stuff. Nice to know!

Where do you recomend to buy used? I am not going to stay there very long (around 10 days), and i am afraid to buy these kind of things online and dont receive it on time... Also, i dont know how to pay in that case, because i wont have a lot of money with me, only credit/debit card. Does Ebay accept credit/debit card?

Are you now visiting a large US city? Locate a camera store in that city and go there. Look at what they have available. Determine if anything fits your needs and is within your budget. Hand him your credit card. Return to Brazil with updated equipment.

Yes i will. NY and Washington are on my list for sure, dont know if i will be able to visit another city after. Maybe Miami, but no sure yet. Thanks!

Thanks, gonna need to rethink my list haha

I will definitely look to buy used gear then, at least the lenses... I wont be able to buy all this stuff paying 9% tax if i buy new.
Thank you very much for the info guys, saved me a lot of time.

Also, if you can recommend me any good stores that sell used stuff, i will appreciate (besides the ones already posted here).

This^

Didnt know B&H had used stuff. Nice to know!

Yes i will. NY and Washington are on my list for sure, dont know if i will be able to visit another city after. Maybe Miami, but no sure yet. Thanks!

Thanks, gonna need to rethink my list haha

I will definitely look to buy used gear then, at least the lenses... I wont be able to buy all this stuff paying 9% tax if i buy new.
Thank you very much for the info guys, saved me a lot of time.

Also, if you can recommend me any good stores that sell used stuff, i will appreciate (besides the ones already posted here).

B&H, Adorama, Jackscamera.

B&H used department is amazing.
They are careful and trustful with their buyers.

On the taxes, B&H will NOT charge you the taxes IF you meet these two criteria together:
(1) You are buying online with B&H (bhphotovideo.com)
(2) You are shipping the online purchases to an USA address located outside the New York state (could be a hotel, for instance).

If you meet these two criteria above, B&H will not charge you the taxes, and you can save a bit more. I did that many time, with no problem. It works just fine.

See this:
Sales Tax | B&H Photo Video

Local Sales Tax
If the order is shipped within New York State , the law requires that local sales tax be added to the order total including the amount of the shipping charge.
We do not collect tax for orders shipped out of New York State. Purchases in our store are subject to an 8.875% local sales tax. This tax is not a VAT, and cannot be recovered by non-USA visitors when returning home.

(2) You are shipping the online purchases to an USA address located outside the New York state (could be a hotel, for instance)...

So, if you're going to visit Washington, order online and ship it to your hotel there?

What about this.

Nikon D800 Used ~ 2500
Nikon 50mm 1.8G ~ 200
Nikon 85mm 1.8G ~ 500
3x Nikon SB700 ~ 900

That's $8500 or so, and is a solid base of gear, IMO. Which leaves you money for taxes, memory cards, etc.

You need GOOD flash gear for stopping skaters. You may want to look into Alienbee Einstein's in lieu of the SB700's, too.

Jake

Thanks for your opnion. Some thoughts, tho:

I kinda felt in love with the d810 and the 14-24mm, i dont think i will give up on those two haha
I dont want to buy used body and used flashs, because here in brazil we dont have very reliable places to fix if anything goes wrong. Also this services are very expensive here. I rather buy then new to avoid future issues.

I dont think i will need the 85 1.8G, cause i dont do a lot of portraits. If i need i can do it with the 70-200.
About the 24-70, the range is too short for an all-around lens for me, i wont use it enough to justify it. I rather take the 24-120 nikon or the 24-105 sigma, wich costs a lot less.

I didnt find alienbee einstein's in any reliable online store... Do you know where to find those?

What about this.

Nikon D800 Used ~ 2500
Nikon 50mm 1.8G ~ 200
Nikon 85mm 1.8G ~ 500
3x Nikon SB700 ~ 900

Jake

Thanks for your opnion. Some thoughts, tho:

I kinda felt in love with the d810 and the 14-24mm, i dont think i will give up on those two haha
I dont want to buy used body and used flashs, because here in brazil we dont have very reliable places to fix if anything goes wrong. Also this services are very expensive here. I rather buy then new to avoid future issues.

I dont think i will need the 85 1.8G, cause i dont do a lot of portraits. If i need i can do it with the 70-200.
About the 24-70, the range is too short for an all-around lens for me, i wont use it enough to justify it. I rather take the 24-120 nikon or the 24-105 sigma, wich costs a lot less.

I didnt find alienbee einstein's in any reliable online store... Do you know where to find those?

The alienbees website. And the 14-24 is a super specialized lens that isn't for many... So I guess if you like it, that's cool.

B&H used department is amazing.
They are careful and trustful with their buyers.

On the taxes, B&H will NOT charge you the taxes IF you meet these two criteria together:
(1) You are buying online with B&H (bhphotovideo.com)
(2) You are shipping the online purchases to an USA address located outside the New York state (could be a hotel, for instance).

If you meet these two criteria above, B&H will not charge you the taxes, and you can save a bit more. I did that many time, with no problem. It works just fine.

See this:
Sales Tax | B&H Photo Video

Local Sales Tax
If the order is shipped within New York State , the law requires that local sales tax be added to the order total including the amount of the shipping charge.
We do not collect tax for orders shipped out of New York State. Purchases in our store are subject to an 8.875% local sales tax. This tax is not a VAT, and cannot be recovered by non-USA visitors when returning home.

(2) You are shipping the online purchases to an USA address located outside the New York state (could be a hotel, for instance)...

So, if you're going to visit Washington, order online and ship it to your hotel there?

Great advice! I think i will order online and send all to Washington. I have a relative living there! Can i buy used stuff online too? Didnt find on the site.

Anyway, thanks a lot guys!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back