Help me choose my future "pro gear"

Thanks, guys! I will heavily consider these other two ultra wide lenses. I think the 14-24mm will not fit my budget anyway :/
This site is very good btw (dxomark.com), didnt know it lol

The 24-70 is not wide enough neither is tele enough for me to justify... I need a very versatile lens for a walk around. If i need to swap lenses, i will swap from ultra wide to tele anyway. Honestly, i am almost thinking about giving up this 24-120 and thinking about buy another camera to have 1 tele and 1 ultra wide and not swap lenses... Maybe a d610 as a secondary, or a d7100 for tele only.
I've already decided to take the 70-200 2.8 tamron instead of the f/4 from nikon.

Seems like a good choice. Maybe dual wield the D610 and the D700's replacement (assuming you can wait till after Photokina..

Thanks for all opnions, guys.

For now, what i've decided is:

D810 ($3300)
Tamron 70-200 2.8 ($1500)
Nikon 16-35 f/4 ($1260)
Sigma art 50 1.4 ($950)
SB-910 ($560)
1x Nikon EN-EL15 extra battery ($50)
Watson 8x 2300 battery kit ($50)
HPRC 2600WDK waterproof Hard case (think tank roller) ($240)

Total: $7910 if i buy everything new. Whatever i can find used, i will take it (except for flash and camera body).
That leaves me extra money for taxes (if needed, but i will try to mail it to washington), or to spend with whatever i find necessary there (extra batteries, reflectors, maybe a second camera).

Oh, i forgot the filter! I will think about it later haha

And i will be leaving around early october, so i can wait for photokina!

Just don't buy crap at those tourist camera stores that will sell you a $10 screw on filter for $500

Thanks for all opnions, guys.

For now, what i've decided is:

D810 ($3300)
Tamron 70-200 2.8 ($1500)
Nikon 16-35 f/4 ($1260)
Sigma art 50 1.4 ($950)
SB-910 ($560)
1x Nikon EN-EL15 extra battery ($50)
Watson 8x 2300 battery kit ($50)
HPRC 2600WDK waterproof Hard case (think tank roller) ($240)

Total: $7910 if i buy everything new. Whatever i can find used, i will take it (except for flash and camera body).
That leaves me extra money for taxes (if needed, but i will try to mail it to washington), or to spend with whatever i find necessary there (extra batteries, reflectors, maybe a second camera).

Oh, i forgot the filter! I will think about it later haha

And i will be leaving around early october, so i can wait for photokina!

My only suggestion is to forego the Tamron for a Used Nikon 70-200 2.8VRII. They can be had for less than 2k . One of the best 70-200's you can have for the D810.

Oh, and pick up a nice 77mm UV and maybe a fancy variable ND filter. [emoji12]

My only suggestion is to forego the Tamron for a Used Nikon 70-200 2.8VRII. They can be had for less than 2k . One of the best 70-200's you can have for the D810.

Only if he really really wants to be loyal to the Nikon brand in his kit.
Otherwise, this Tamron lens is reviewed as good as the Nikon VRII counterpart.
I use it with the D810, and am impressed and happy about them together. An extremely sharp and reliable couple.
One way or the other, you cannot go wrong with both of them. Both are solid and excellent choices.

Only if he really really wants to be loyal to the Nikon brand in his kit.
Otherwise, this Tamron lens is reviewed as good as the Nikon VRII counterpart.
I use it with the D810, and am impressed and happy about it.

As a D800 owner, I feel I NEED to be loyal to the Nikon line... But maybe that's just foolish.

As a D800 owner, I feel I NEED to be loyal to the Nikon line... But maybe that's just foolish.

I understand, and you're not the only one thinking like that, at all.
Out from my own experience, and as a D810 owner, I see no problem with the newer Tamron and Sigma lenses at all.
Tamron and Sigma are really closing the gap, fast...

I understand, and you're not the only one at all.
Out from my own experience, and as a D810 owner, I see no problem with the newer Tamron and Sigma lenses ar all.
Tamron and Sigma are really closing the gap, fast...

Oh I agree. Especially with Sigma's new Art lens and Tamrom having the 24-70 with optical stabilization. Definitely putting more pressure on Nikon and Canon. And if I remember correctly, Tamron's 24-70 was rated by DXOmark as being better optically on the D800 than Nikons equivalent.

Oh I agree. Especially with Sigma's new Art lens and Tamrom having the 24-70 with optical stabilization. Definitely putting more pressure on Nikon and Canon. And if I remember correctly, Tamron's 24-70 was rated by DXOmark as being better optically on the D800 than Nikons equivalent.

Correct. And the newer Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 is also rated as optically better than the Nikon VRII as well, having the D800E as the reference. Below the DxO link:

Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Nikon on Nikon D800E versus Nikkor AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II on Nikon D800E - Side by side lens comparison - DxOMark

Correct. And the newer Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 is also rated as optically better than the Nikon VRII as well, having the D800E as the reference. Below the DxO link:

Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Nikon on Nikon D800E versus Nikkor AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II on Nikon D800E - Side by side lens comparison - DxOMark

Crazy to think that what we once thought was "lesser" is now "greater"

Indeed.
And the Tamron's VC (vibration control) is being rated as the best image stabilization system out there, better than Canon's IS and Nikon's VR-II.
Those are impressive reviews and actual results...

Indeed.
And the Tamron's VC (vibration control) is being rated as the best image stabilization system out there, better than Canon's IS and Nikon's VR-II.
Those are impressive reviews and actual results...

Might have just sold me on which make and model of the 24-70 I'll be getting down the road [emoji106]

Might have just sold me on which make and model of the 24-70 I'll be getting down the road [emoji106]

I'm sure you won't regret the choice.
But rent it first for the weekend, in order for you to test and feel it, before buying it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back