Help me decide which 2nd lens to get

dromos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm trying to decide which lens to buy for my Sony A7. I currently only have the Zeiss 35mm f2.8 prime and want to get something a little wider. I've been looking at the Sony 16-35mm f4 and the Zeiss Batis 25mm f2, but can't decide which to get. Would these be unnecessary given the 35 mm prime I already have? I shoot mostly landscape/nature. Are there any other lenses I should consider? I'd rather not use an adaptor to mount other lenses not suited to the A7 range.

I'm relatively new to this hobby, so any advice is welcome.

Most people get into the A7 because they can use the Canon L series glass that they already own so.. yeah..
How about the Sigma ART 24mm F/1.4?

What's your budget for new glass? There are $200 options and $2000 options... The key here is to figure out how much wider you want to go. Are you just missing your ideal focal length by a bit, in which case 24 or 28 would be good options, or are you missing it by a lot, in which case you need to be looking more at the 12-14mm area.

Most people get into the A7 because they can use the Canon L series glass that they already own so.. yeah..
How about the Sigma ART 24mm F/1.4?
Wait, what ?

I dont think many people actually do that ?!?!?

There's a few A7 (S or R) owners around me, every single one of them is using Canon glass only. :)

There's a few A7 (S or R) owners around me, every single one of them is using Canon glass only. :)
I heard there is not a Nikon lenses coverter too but I dont think its as good as the coverter for Canon glass, I am usre in time they will be equal in their performance.
If you will get same perfromance out of your Nikon/Canon glass on A7 bodies compared to Sony lenses you will really be able to consider A7 cameras, you might see people owning Nikon or Canon and as a second body an A7 camera, it will be interesting for sure.

It doesn't focus as fast as on a Canon body so.. that's an issue for something like a wedding, but no so much
of an issue for a landscape or most other stuff.

But thats no conclusive evidence. Just a completely random sample.

But thinking about this - it makes sense though that Canon users would do that. After all, the sensor performance of Canon cameras is ... often perceived as somewhat disappointing.

It doesn't focus as fast as on a Canon body so.. that's an issue for something like a wedding, but no so much
of an issue for a landscape or most other stuff.
Wedding, action/sport, moving people, ... I would say "most other stuff" is a pretty generous choice of words.

From the internet I got the impression that instead of using such an adapter, right now a good photographer can focus faster with a manual focus only lens.

Nah, it's definitely usable. I only had the chance to compare 5d mark3 focusing with the A7 S2 with the 70-200 IS 2 lens (which focuses lightning fast)
and the difference would not be an issue for me, not with that lens. It focuses about as fast on the sony as that lens does on a T2i. It's faster on the 5d mark3
and that usually slower the a 7d mark2 or most 1D models would focus.

So, yeah, not really a big issue and it's just the beginning of it all.

Nah, it's definitely usable. I only had the chance to compare 5d mark3 focusing with the A7 S2 with the 70-200 IS 2 lens (which focuses lightning fast)
and the difference would not be an issue for me, not with that lens. It focuses about as fast on the sony as that lens does on a T2i. It's faster on the 5d mark3
and that usually slower the a 7d mark2 or most 1D models would focus.

So, yeah, not really a big issue and it's just the beginning of it all.
Would that be in perfect lighting conditions or dark condition too ?

Most reactions

Back