Help me make a lens choice

cp24eva

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi folks. Me and my wife are fairly new to photography (well, at least with a DSLR) We are trying to make a decision on what our next lens should be, but not on the expensive side of things. So far we have a 55-300 VR, 35mm 1.8, and 50mm 1.8. I'm for sure going to buy a macro lens because this is something I am really interested in doing. So the 40mm micro is in our future. We were thinking about selling off the 35 and the 55 and just sticking with the 40mm as a fair in between point. The extra F stop on the prime lenses we have shouldn't be missed much. We want a lens with some wide angle capabilities.

Our interest in the types of photography we do/want to do varies from landscapes, to portraits, macro, events, etc.

So what do you folks think is a decent choice?

Depends on the type of Macro you want to do. 40mm can be very difficult to work with and has a whole set of issues that you don't see with a longer lens. For instance, the lens is so close to the subject that it can be difficult to properly light your subject. You can also suffer from the shadow cast by you or the lens itself. Also, if your subject can move, it most likely will if you try to get that close. About the only thing that makes it a good choice for a beginner is the price.

Depends on the type of Macro you want to do. 40mm can be very difficult to work with and has a whole set of issues that you don't see with a longer lens. For instance, the lens is so close to the subject that it can be difficult to properly light your subject. You can also suffer from the shadow cast by you or the lens itself. Also, if your subject can move, it most likely will if you try to get that close. About the only thing that makes it a good choice for a beginner is the price.

I see. The types of macro shots I will be taking will be indoor and out. And you touched a specific point because I do infact want to get some good macro shots of insects. being to close to those critters can mess up my shots. although it wasn't a true macro shot, i took a nice picture of a wasp from 5 feet away with my 55-300 at 300mm. Came out pretty good, not great though. For something like that, would it be better to simply save up and get a 100mm macro lens? I'd also be doing indoor macro shots as well. very close shots. thoughts?

The 105mm is amazing... But pricey. If you want similar performance at half the cost and can do without VR, then the Tokina 100mm macro does quite well! I enjoy it a lot... Though a tripod is almost mandatory with it.

Of course, to cut costs, used lenses are always an option. I own several and they are fantastic as new.

Lem

Personally, I went with the Sigma 150 2.8 and I think the range is about perfect. The Tamron 90mm also seems to be pretty well regarded.

If I were you, I would try to get something 90mm or longer.

cool. I check out out that 100mm Tokina and that looks like a good deal. Got some great reviews. as well.

any inputs on decent wide angle (prime or zoom) wide angle lens that I may be able to add to my kit???

any inputs on decent wide angle (prime or zoom) wide angle lens that I may be able to add to my kit???

What camera do you have? There aren't really any Nikon wide angle DX prime lenses, so you are looking at a zoom. (Nikon does have an 20mm FX prime, but it isn't cheap and 20mm isn't bery wide on dx). Sigma 10-20mm is popular and has a focus motor. I enjoy my Tokina 12-24mm, but it doesn't have a motor so it won't autofocus on D3100/3200/5100 cameras. Same with the Tokina 11-16mm. Tokina does have a 12-24mm with motor but its an extra $100 or so I think.

Oh, I'm sorry. I need to update my profile. I have a D7000. so I can deal without a focus motor.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back