Help me pick 2nd piece of glass...

fiveoboy01

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've got a D60 with the 18-55 kit lens.

For my next lens I've settled on the 50mm AF-S f/1.4... Gotta have it for poor light situations and it's speed.

For the 3rd one I would like something with a fair amount of zoom, so I can get good captures at things like high school football/baseball games. Some of these are at night, under stadium lights... I could use a tripod but also would like to handhold at some times... Needs to be good in low/poor lighting as well... I've been eyeing up this:

Nikon 80-200mm F/2.8D ED AF Zoom-Nikkor Lens, With Nikon 5-Year USA Warranty |BeachCamera.com

and this:

Nikon 70-200MM F/2.8 G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom Nikkor Lens, With Nikon 5-year USA Warranty |BeachCamera.com

Thoughts? I'm open to other alternatives or suggestions as well.... I won't be able to afford the zoom until late spring, but it's nice to have something to save towards...

The 70-200 is an amazing piece of glass, and with the VR, I'm able to get tack-sharp images hand-held at 1/60th zoomed to 200mm. That said, you're paying $600 for that luxury. I'd suggest reading Ken Rockwell's articles on these two lenses.

definitely good choices, i wish i had that kinda money to drop on lenses!

Well I don't have the $ for both at this point, pretty pricey.

tirediron, I assume from what you say that you own that lens.... And I assume that your belief is that if I can afford it I should spend the extra for it?

the 70-200 VR is better than the first one, it has VR, 10 more mm, and it has an autofocus motor which the first one doesn't. The D60 does not have the screwdriver AF (which the 80-200mm D operates on)so you would have to manually focus

Most reactions

Back