Help me pick between tripods!

I have to agree with SCraig, I would recommend spending at least $200 + on a tripod and ball head. My first tripod was a cheap around $100 SLIK one, and I used it for about 5 months - I dropped it one day from about waist height onto the road and the fitting on the head snapped completely off.

I recently bought a new tripod and head, and I can not be happier - I think I spend around $150 on legs and $300 on a head. But what I have gives me a very sturdy set up, where I dont have to worry about wind etc. The only downside of my set up is my legs are fairly heavy. This is fine for now but I will eventually buy some carbon fibre legs as they are lightweight and quite sturdy, but quite a bit more expensive.

It is usually better to buy the two separately as you can pick and choose and most kits are not that great, but there are some descent kits out there too

Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB 100 Tripod W/SBH 100 ALTA PRO 263AB 100 I convinced my brother to get this rather than an $80 tripod, he loves it.

I would recommend something that you can at least read a couple of reviews on and get some feedback to what other think of it.

I wouldn't cheap out on a ball head as this is something that you could be using for 10+ years

Oben BB-1 Ball Head BB-1 B&H Photo Video this looks pretty good for the price

and I bought these legs

Induro Alloy 8M AT213 Tripod 472-213 B&H Photo Video

Which are quite large and heavy, but I trust them 100%

I just spent $346 on a tripod setup and ballhead. I had a cheap vivitar tripod that buckled in under the weight of my D7000. The head snapped and the whole thing came down. Never again!

ExclusiveMop said:
I want a sturdy tripod because i'm going to be using it mostly outside

I forgot to include in my statement that I have purchased a quality tripod which is worth every penny. Like everyone above is saying, you may buy a cheap one to start but you'll end up buying a quality one later. Save your money for a while longer and bump up your spending amount for your tripod. You won't regret it.

I have a carbon fiber tripod with pistol grip head for portable use. Its light and has been durable (strong) so far, but I do not like the pistol grip head, I would prefer something that makes small adjustments easier. Just a thought.

I have the tripod you mentioned. AGPL 4 or whatever it is called. It is solid and heavy, and did I mention heavy? I have had it for a year and have 0 problems. I don't use it that often, but when I do I have my Gripped D300 and a Tamron 200-500 on it and it holds solid. Read the reviews. Check the screws when you get it...

I also have the Opteka TH-30 ballhead on my monopod which uses the same quick release system.

I don't think you can find a better "cheap" tripod. Of course just my humble opinion and your mileage may vary...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back