What's new

Help me pick my first DSLR

C_Dubs

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 18, 2011
Messages
61
Reaction score
2
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I am new to the world of Dslr's, and am very excited to start getting into photography. I am looking at older cameras, because i want the cost to be $350 or belo with the kit lens. I have looked at the Canon 20d and the nikon d40. Are these good cameras? Could i do better? I am open to all suggestions so tell me what you think would be best for me. I was also looking at the olympus e-pl1. would this be better for a beginner? I think the smaller size is nice, but not necessary. Thanks for all help!
 
Something that comes to mind is the Canon 1000d with the 18-55mm kit lens. I don't like the kit lens though, so I would probably go for the 50mm f/1.8 instead.
 
could someone else besides one person help me
 
The 20D is pretty old. For $350, look into the used dept. You can find a T1i with lens for that amount used.
 
Have a look at the Sony slr bodies. They feel great, take amazing photos and have access to millions of lenses that are amazing via the minolta maxxum.

Have a look.
 
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and don't forget that Sony has stabilization in body not lens so you get the benefits with every lens attached. Something the big two want you to pay extra for.
 
I'd go with the T1i recommendation... it's 2 generations old now but still stacks up well against it's younger brothers. The 18-55mm EF-S lens is poopoo though... I'd save for a T1i body and a better lens (LOVE my 17-70 Sigma)
 
where are you guys finding used t1i's for under 350? I just got some more money, so my new price range is up to 450!!!!! Please help! I am open to all brands and all suggestions, just give me a specific camera not a brand
 
Your budget is too low and you aren't describing what you want to take photos of.

Copy and pasted from the last person who asked this question...

What do you like to shoot?
How much studying do you plan to put into it? Do you want the camera to make the decisions or do you want to learn how to make the decisions for yourself?
What kind of lighting conditions are you normally in when you want to take photos?
Any physical constraints? Is size and weight an issue?
What are your goals? Do you just want to take better pictures of friends and family? Better landscape photos? Better travel photos? Do you think you will print most of your work or just share it on a social networking site like facebook? If you plan to print, how large of prints do you want to make?

Without some of that info, anybody who makes a recommendation is just guessing what is best for you.
 
What do you like to shoot?
nature, stuff on vacations, some sports, just a little though

How much studying do you plan to put into it? Do you want the camera to make the decisions or do you want to learn how to make the decisions for yourself?
I know how to use a dslr, so i want to make decisions for myself

What kind of lighting conditions are you normally in when you want to take photos?
daytime, maybe a little lowlight

Any physical constraints? Is size and weight an issue?
i would like it to be smaller, but it doesnt need to be

What are your goals? Do you just want to take better pictures of friends and family? Better landscape photos? Better travel photos? Do you think you will print most of your work or just share it on a social networking site like facebook? If you plan to print, how large of prints do you want to make?
I would like to take this up as a hobby and get better at photography in general, i wont make large prints
 
If you are going to be shooting in manual, ideally, you would want two control wheels. One for aperture and one for shutter speed. Makes things a lot easier. So, not too worried about low light. Not too worried about big prints, but want to be able to control the camera.

With the budget that you have in mind, how about a Nikon D70 or D80?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom