Extra Batteries and Memory Cards, shoot lots, shoot what interests you, then you will know what else you need!
If you buy all the bells and whistles, then you have a closet full of bells and whistles!
I have to disagree with you on all the memory cards. He's not shooting weddings or anything where he is constantly on the shutter and runs out of space fast. Chances are he will be doing some shooting around town and coming back home and uploading the pictures and still having plenty of room on the card. Batteries unless he will be shooting tons at night or out all day long an extra battery is not as high of a priority as lets say a flash or good tripod.
And Denny I don't know if he will need a bag right away. I wouldn't consider that an essential because you could always put your gear in any type of bag and keep it well protected but a flash you don't just have one lying around and same goes for a tripod. GL and can't wait to see those cityscapes!
Tj