Help me understand what this is ?

Kristian1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey fellow analog fans... I got a film developed and some of the photos had a red stipe on them $IMG_20140619_0002.jpg .. Is that a mistake the cameras makes or is it a mistake by the guy who developed my film ? It was shot with a Ricoh R1 by the way.. Brand new film by the way...

The problem is that you missed focus.

Oh the red bar?

No idea.

Could be light leek in film cameras body.

Looks like a light leak to me. Is this the first time you've ever seen this?

It **is** caused by light. If it's on a start or end frame, it could be the edge of the roll I.D. number that was flashed onto the roll at the lab. But it definitely *is* caused by white light, and not part of the in-camera exposure. Have you looked at the negative? Is it an end frame, or one from the very start of the roll?

Well actually I've seen it a couple of times with that specific camera. But it is only on some of the shots.. Could i fix the leak with tape... =

It **is** caused by light. If it's on a start or end frame, it could be the edge of the roll I.D. number that was flashed onto the roll at the lab. But it definitely *is* caused by white light, and not part of the in-camera exposure. Have you looked at the negative? Is it an end frame, or one from the very start of the roll?
It is actually in the middle of the roll and it happened on three of the photos.. seems kind of random..

Hey fellow analog fans... I got a film developed and some of the photos had a red stipe on them View attachment 77378 .. Is that a mistake the cameras makes or is it a mistake by the guy who developed my film ? It was shot with a Ricoh R1 by the way.. Brand new film by the way...

Just poking fun at you by the way :mrgreen:

i laughed haha

Well actually I've seen it a couple of times with that specific camera. But it is only on some of the shots.. Could i fix the leak with tape... =

A camera can have a place where light will leak in some pictures but not others, depending on the location of the light source. Looks like yours is along the side (can't tell you right or left because I don't know how you turned the camera to get the vertical shot. Any horizontal shots with the light leak? If so, if the leak is on the right of the image, the leak will be on the left side of the camera, and it looks like where the back plate meets the main part of the camera.)

It's not hard to replace light seals. Open the back and check around the edges - is there any foam at all anywhere in the seams? You can get a sheet of black self-adhesive felt and cut a thin strip to place around the edges where the back meets the camera body. It's not hard and there are probably video tutorials that you might want to try for more detailed instruction.

I suppose tape might work (it would have to be black tape) but you'd have to re-tape every time you change rolls.

I agree, light leaks, and yes, you could try using some black electrical tape or gaffer's tape but that would be a somewhat temporary fix (til you get tired of re-taping the camera every time you put in film!).

I thought at first glance you wanted to know what the person was with the bag on the head! LOL I'm kidding too, you picked a funny picture to show us, looks like you had fun wherever you were!

You could of course scan and make copies and do some cropping to eliminate the stripes depending on if that wouldn't cut off a significant part of the picture.

sure had, its a not a bag but a plastic container filled with dough by the way. . haha

A camera can have a place where light will leak in some pictures but not others, depending on the location of the light source. Looks like yours is along the side (can't tell you right or left because I don't know how you turned the camera to get the vertical shot. Any horizontal shots with the light leak? If so, if the leak is on the right of the image, the leak will be on the left side of the camera, and it looks like where the back plate meets the main part of the camera.)

It's not hard to replace light seals. Open the back and check around the edges - is there any foam at all anywhere in the seams? You can get a sheet of black self-adhesive felt and cut a thin strip to place around the edges where the back meets the camera body. It's not hard and there are probably video tutorials that you might want to try for more detailed instruction.

I suppose tape might work (it would have to be black tape) but you'd have to re-tape every time you change rolls.

Where should i but the felt ? (sorry for being so helpless...) $DSC_0078.jpg

i have a the similar red stripe on the right side of some horizontal shots by the way..

A bad seal on the camera usually doesn't create equal light leaks across the roll of film. Sometimes, you take several shots in a row.... in the dark using flash.... so there's not much time for very little light to leak in and cause damage. Halfway through the roll, you set the camera down for half an hour on a picnic table out in the sun and guess what?

First try taping up all along the edges of the film door seam (after film is loaded of course), and shoot another roll. If that solves the problem then you know it's a light leak.

If it is a light leak then you need to replace the seals. Search YouTube for videos about replacing light seals on film cameras and you will see what you need to do. You will need to dig out the old seals located in the groove where the film door sits when it is closed and replace them.

Most reactions

Back