help me with English slang :D

mentos_007

The Freshmaker!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello. Short question: what does it mean "ditto" ??

Actually I get what does it mean "dunno" and "imo" (yeah I caught it ) but what is "ditto"?

Ditto means "the same". Here's a situation where you might here it. Bartender: "What can I get you to drink". Friend, "I"ll have a beer". Bartender looks at you, "And you?", and you say, "Ditto".

That make sense?

'Ditto' means 'the same' or 'i agree' or something along those lines.

For instance:

"I'm having a really bad day."
"Yeah, ditto." (Meaning 'Yeah, same here.' or 'Yeah, me too.')

'Dunno' is a slang contraction of 'don't know', and 'imo' is internet slang for 'In My Opinion'

:D :thumbsup:
English teacher to the rescue! (that really is what I teach!)

For further useless information, the word 'ditto' comes, I believe, from the old copy machines that used to be used in schools. They were mimeograph or ditto machines. So literally, the word comes from the act of copying a paper or form.

ok thanks :) that was a really difficult question :) I couldn't find an answear anywhere :)

ok, one more: "ASAP".
Is this something like: as soon as possible ??
but I'm not sure, and I want to know if I understand it properly

ASAP - As soon as possible
TY - Thank you
YW - You are welcome
IMHO - In my honest opinion
LOL - Laughs out loudly

yeah I knew "lol" before :) It's difficult not to know it, usually now when all those emoticons are very popular

Isn't IMHO "in my Humble opinion"?

Mentos, I worked for several years with a doctor who had moved here from Poland, and he always came to me with these kinds of questions. All languages have slang, or relaxed pronunication, but he used to tell me he found English exceptionally hard.

The first time he came to me with a question, it was about the song by Led Zeppelin: "Whole Lotta Love". He was a big Zep fan (needless to say we got along famously) but he did not understand what was meant by the word: "lotta". I laughed my head off because it was a perfectly understandable point of confusion that most of us never think about. So I explained all about slang, and how this actually was two words: "lot of" combined into one. :D

I'm happy to be reminded of those times. Glad to help anytime with our crazy language here! :wink:

terri said:
Walt said:
Isn't IMHO "in my Humble opinion"?

Yes it is - fo shizzle! :wink:

Thanks for the correction; Walt, Terri.
For some reason I thought it was 'honest'.

You've got company mentos :). English isn't my mother tongue!

Most reactions

Back