Help NEEDED

Shutterbuggin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello...being new in photography I am wondering what type of equipment I should invest in, I know I want to get some filters and another len but have no clue what to look for. I took a class at college but perhaps I didn't learn as much as I had hope. I was hoping to shadow some professial photograhers in Las Vegas but havnt found anyone wishing to teach. So if there is anyone in Vegas willing let me know. I see alot of people using len hood, if I was to get one what do I look for. After looking at the posted pictures under photography Beginners I feel a bit unqualified. Should I even be posting my kindergarden pictures on this forum??? Any comments will be greatly appreciated. I love photography but need some guidance in this area if I have any hopes of improving. Thank you!!

What kind of photography do you want to do? What about your current equipment do you feel is holding you back? Sure, you could go toss a bunch of money at new lenses and filters and such, or you could learn to use what you have, and eventually you'll find a couple areas where your equipment limits your capabilities, and then you can try to find some equipment to help close those gaps. Experience is better than equipment.

well...get the basics i suppose a camea (whatever you can afford and feels the best to you) maybe a lens or two (lens selection depends on the type of photography you want to pursue) a good all around lens that isn't super expensive is a 28-135mm canon ef "for a canon of course" as far as filters and little things go get them if you want but they dont typicaly make or break a photo those types of things usually aren't deal breakers for a good photo. lens hoods are cheap and you should have one for each of your lenses simply for added protection they will also help to guard against flaring and fringing. I wouldn't be shy to post anything in the begginers forum people that respond here generally understand that you're a newbie and will help with advice more than they will cut down your ability.

In addition to what Brian has asked, what equipment do you have now? What is your budget for additional equipment?

The type of photography I am most interested in is nature/animals & portraits. Currently as far as equirment, I have a canon rebel XT EOS 350D camera, I have two lens 28-90mm and 18-55 mm canon one is from my old 35 mm canon. I have a tripod and thats about it! My budget is a bit limited right now but I was hoping to get a few things like a hood for both my lens, another len not sure if I was a standand one or a macro. Wanting to spend at the most $200 on another len right now.

You're not going to get a lot in quality glass, even on the used market for $200. My suggestion would be that you consider a polarizing filter, used to enhance contrast and saturation, deepen the blue in skies, and remove reflection from non-metallic surfaces (water, glass) and/or a speedlight. The polarizing filter will make a huge difference to your out-door shots, but be sure you by a quality one, at the very minimum a multi-coated Tiffen or Hoya, NOT one of those POS flea-bay "professional camera filters" for $20. The speedlight will take your portraiture to a whole new level, allowing you to get your light source OFF of the camera.

I would say put the lens purchase on hold, figure out what type of lens you want, and save up for it. Remember to shop used - I buy a LOT of gear from Craig's List and similar sources.

Okay thank you for the tip...What size filter would be best with my lens, I was looking online at one a 52mm hoya filter but it said not recommended for a auto-focus SLR cameras. My camera has both but does that mean I can't use it if I was using auto-focus? Also, do u recommended what type of hood to get I see cheap ones but don't know where to find quailty ones. Thanks.

Hoya 52mm Linear Polarizing Glass Filter B52PL B&H Photo Video

Most reactions

Back