help noob choose len/lens PLZ

Sorry... LOL

That would be me that dug up and OLD thread as I was reading. Did not realize that it went so far back when I replied. Just got caught up in reading I guess.

^ I blame this guy. Lol, nope didnt notice.

Devananda,

If you are planning on buying a 70-300 only to sell it later for an upgrade, I think that you should go with a used one. Lenses really hold their value. If you buy a used one and take good care of it, you could probably sell it for about the same price that you bought it for.

If you do go that route make sure to take a couple of pictures with the lens that you plan to purchase. Take some actual photos, and then take some of just a blank wall (a light colored one and a dark one). The actual photos will be good to see what type/quality of pictures it takes, and the blank walls may help you see if there is any scratches or dust on the lens. Also preview your sample photos on a computer and not on the camera LCD screen. If whoever is selling the lens doesn't want you to test them, then guess what, probably not the person you want to deal with.

I am going to buy a Canon XTi body. I'm lucky enough to be able to borrow a lens from my brother in law ( a 18 or 2x - 85mm) and will look for a used telephoto lens to get me buy until I know how to use my camera better and know a bit more about lenses. This will help me realize what I want and need at a fraction of the cost.

Most reactions

Back