Help - photographer positions

limey123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi there,

I'm wondering if someone can explain to me why a photographer, when taking a group shot, kneels down and shoots from that position. The photographer at my friend's wedding did this and as a result the photographs arent very flattering. Please help.

cheers
L

Usually to change the angle of view. It's a very subjective thing. Depending on the actual angle, it can either work, or as you suggest not work. Changing the angle may also assist with simplifying to background, as you are looking more at the sky.

I hardly ever take a photo at eye level, there usually to boring. I get on my back, stomach,and even sometime climb a step ladder when taking photos. At eye level its just a pic but changing the angle makes it yours.

Some because "it's wut the pros do!!!"
Most because it changes perspective or changes the background
It also helps balance sometimes

Sometimes when you shoot up on someone it makes them appear more powerful and bigger but doesn't really work with a group. Probably wasn't the best thing for that photographer to do.

Hi there,

I'm wondering if someone can explain to me why a photographer, when taking a group shot, kneels down and shoots from that position. ...

Sometimes they know what they're doing and sometimes not.There is a good reason for doing this, though. Its the same reason that architectural photographers use shift lenses, or rising front standards on view cameras, and/or a lot of post processing.

If you have a standing group and the photographer stands to shoot with an eyelevel camera he either gets a shot with a massive amount of extra space at the top (if he shoots level to the ground, centering the standing people's eyes) or he gets one where the standing people appear to lean in at the sides (if he tilts the camera down to center the group top to bottom). If he's been forced to use (or unwisely chose to use) a wide angle lens and chooses the latter tilt down framing, the effect can be rather severe and unpleasant.

Kneeling down so that you can both center the subjects and shoot level avoids this problem. The downside is that the lower camera position means that you are looking slightly upward into everyone's face, in particular their noses. This can yield an unpleasant looks, particularly if the photographer has been forced to use (or unwisely chose to use) a wide angle lens.

Most reactions

Back