Help! Question about other photographers working my hired event

photoNT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello! I am relatively new and have only had my business up and running for the past few months. This past weekend I was hired from a non-profit to cover their annual fundraising gala. I have shot events before and have never had this issue come up and am just hoping to get everyone's opinion and insight as to what I should do. What happened was that there was another professional photographer shooting the event. The non-profit didn't hire her and when I asked her she said something about being hired by a press organization and by the designer and caterer. I would have been semi-okay with this had she not been taking pictures of the event (guests, entertainment, etc.). I'm still uncertain what "press" hired her because the two major newspapers for events (who snap just a few pictures of the important people) ended up showing up briefly. I did not have a specific clause in my contract about not having other photographers there. Is that standard practice?

The entertainment also had their own photographer who was mainly taking pictures of them, but also of the event! What, if anything, should I have done about that?

I'm sorry this is a bit wordy!

TL;DR: What is the standard practice for limiting other professionals to shoot at your hired event? What do you do when they show up? Can the entertainment have their own photographer? Can newspaper press come and snap a few pictures within 30 minutes and then leave?

Thanks! I would appreciate any advice!

Whats your contract say?

Edit, me fail. There's nothing in your contract, so you should've done nothing :)

Whats your contract say?

Edit, me fail. There's nothing in your contract, so you should've done nothing :)
This! ^^ If you did not have an exclusivity clause in your contract, there's not much you can do and yes, such a clause is normal practice.

To add, I'm not sure there's anything you could do since its separate entities hiring their own photographers. Its not like they were in direct competition of you. I'd think it would be rare to be the sole photographer at most events.

Hello! I am relatively new and have only had my business up and running for the past few months. This past weekend I was hired from a non-profit to cover their annual fundraising gala. I have shot events before and have never had this issue come up and am just hoping to get everyone's opinion and insight as to what I should do. What happened was that there was another professional photographer shooting the event. The non-profit didn't hire her and when I asked her she said something about being hired by a press organization and by the designer and caterer. I would have been semi-okay with this had she not been taking pictures of the event (guests, entertainment, etc.). I'm still uncertain what "press" hired her because the two major newspapers for events (who snap just a few pictures of the important people) ended up showing up briefly. I did not have a specific clause in my contract about not having other photographers there. Is that standard practice?

The entertainment also had their own photographer who was mainly taking pictures of them, but also of the event! What, if anything, should I have done about that?

I'm sorry this is a bit wordy!

TL;DR: What is the standard practice for limiting other professionals to shoot at your hired event? What do you do when they show up? Can the entertainment have their own photographer? Can newspaper press come and snap a few pictures within 30 minutes and then leave?

Thanks! I would appreciate any advice!

Such a professional post

Yes, this is something that can/should be brought up in your contract...but it's not always the best idea to take a firm stand on being the only professional photographer.

So what are some of your issues here? Are you counting on print sales, and now you're worried that another photographer will take a piece out of that pie? Or was it harder for you to get your shots, because the other photographer was in your way, or distracting the subjects away from your lens?

If you are just getting paid to cover the event...would it really matter if another photographer was there?

"Such a professional post"

I'm not sure what you mean by that. You bolded a certain question that I asked and I asked that because that's exactly what happened.

"Such a professional post"

I'm not sure what you mean by that. You bolded a certain question that I asked and I asked that because that's exactly what happened.

Apologies, I thought you were being sarcastic (with your bolded question)and I was just being sarcastic back

Yes, this is something that can/should be brought up in your contract...but it's not always the best idea to take a firm stand on being the only professional photographer.

So what are some of your issues here? Are you counting on print sales, and now you're worried that another photographer will take a piece out of that pie? Or was it harder for you to get your shots, because the other photographer was in your way, or distracting the subjects away from your lens?

If you are just getting paid to cover the event...would it really matter if another photographer was there?

Thanks for the questions! Yes I would be missing out on print sales. I took pretty great photos of the tables, decorations, and food and if the caterer or designer wanted those pictures that could have been an additional client. She was also in my way when it came to taking pictures of the speakers.

Whoever hired you, thats who your client is. You can't plan on using the guests/hired help on being your clientele as well.

Whoever hired you, thats who your client is. You can't plan on using the guests/hired help on being your clientele as well.

Thanks so much for your insight! I'm still learning as I go and appreciate everyone's advice.

Who cares if there are other photographers shooting the event, you only have one person to deal with, the client that hired you. If the other photographers are starting to get in your way, ask them them not to. You are the professional that was hired. As far as the news photograhers are concerned, if a press release was sent out inviting them to shoot the event, they can stay as long as they want, generally they are in and out. If the entertainment has their own photographer, that is their client. You have been hired to cover the whole event. Just do it.

It would help if your location was indicated in your profile.

What works in Toledo, Ohio may not work in Frankfurt, Germany.

The solution to your problem is to have a well written contract. That usually means getting a good business attorney involved to make sure all the bases are covered.

I get the distinct impression you were shooting on speculation, rather than getting paid up front. Particularly since it was the gala for a non-profit.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back