Help Soft photos!

CyclonePWR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have noticed that after I edit my photos from raw and covert them into Jpeg they turn soft. People on this forum have commented that my photos dont look that sharp. I sharpen the photos before I convert them.

I use the software that came with my canon camera so idk if that's the problem. Next week someone is getting me a copy of Corel photo X2 so maybe it will help.

Maybe I am doing something wrong when converting. Should I save the file a certain way?

I would post example but I dont think I can post the Raw photo.

Thanks for the help.

Here I tried doing a print screen of both. Idk how well it will look.

Left is sharpened raw file and right is same file converted to Jpeg.

Dogs.jpg

The one on the left looks much better.

What do you have the JPG compression/quality set to when you convert? That's the only thing I can think of that would be causing this - you should have it set to it's highest setting.

Are you using Digital Photo Professional? Are you using the latest version (version 3.5.2.0)?

When you save, exactly how are you saving it? Are you using "Convert And Save"? Is the Quality Setting set to 10?

Are you using Digital Photo Professional? Are you using the latest version (version 3.5.2.0)?

When you save, exactly how are you saving it? Are you using "Convert And Save"? Is the Quality Setting set to 10?

I am ussing DPP its version 3.4.0.0 hmmmm. I do covert and save, quality is set to 10. What about this DPI output res dpi?

The version came on the disk with the camera. I should get the Corel see how that works.

Another question, I have not printing any photos yet. Can I bring the raw file to the store or do I have to give them a jpeg version.

The one on the left looks much better.
I know the left looks better that's my problem. I been kicking my self why my pictures dont look that sharp when I post them, compare to other people on this forum.

I am ussing DPP its version 3.4.0.0 hmmmm.
I would upgrade DPP and see if your problems go away. How much sharpening are you applying? Are you applying it in the RAW tab or RGB tab? Do you correct for lens aberration? That helps with image sharpness.
What about this DPI output res dpi?
Don't worry about that...that's for printing.
I should get the Corel see how that works.
I'm sure you won't experience the same problem with Corel.
Another question, I have not printing any photos yet. Can I bring the raw file to the store or do I have to give them a jpeg version.
You can't use a RAW file, you have to use .JPEG, .BMP or .TIFF.

I would upgrade DPP and see if your problems go away. How much sharpening are you applying? Are you applying it in the RAW tab or RGB tab? Do you correct for lens aberration? That helps with image sharpness.

I apply good amount of sharpening but depends on the photo. I do it in both raw and RBG tab. Should I only do it in one.

Whats lens aberration?

Thank for you help.

are you resharpening after resizing?
when you resize an image you lose sharpness in the shot - when your cutting an image down by 2/3s of it size for the internet you lose quite a bit of detail.
Generally I resize in 2 stages - say a photo is around 3000pixels or larger at full size I would

a) resize to 2000pixels on the longest side and then sharpen
b) then resize to 1000 pixels on the longest side and then sharpen again.

if I go down to 600 pixels again sharpening is applied

note that hte amount of sharpening needed at each level should generally be less than the one used before, just make sure that the shots don't look oversharpened when you resize (though when you sharpen the first stage you acn oversharpen - then when resizing cuts out sharpness in the shot it cuts out the oversharpened bit leaving behind a slightly sharper image than you would get if you were to not have oversharpened in the first place).

are you resharpening after resizing?
when you resize an image you lose sharpness in the shot - when your cutting an image down by 2/3s of it size for the internet you lose quite a bit of detail.
Generally I resize in 2 stages - say a photo is around 3000pixels or larger at full size I would

a) resize to 2000pixels on the longest side and then sharpen
b) then resize to 1000 pixels on the longest side and then sharpen again.

if I go down to 600 pixels again sharpening is applied

note that hte amount of sharpening needed at each level should generally be less than the one used before, just make sure that the shots don't look oversharpened when you resize (though when you sharpen the first stage you acn oversharpen - then when resizing cuts out sharpness in the shot it cuts out the oversharpened bit leaving behind a slightly sharper image than you would get if you were to not have oversharpened in the first place).

Thanks for the advice,

This problem occurs even if I dont do any resizing or cropping. Just take a photo PP sharpen it and then covert it to Jpeg and it goes soft.

it sounds like something is up with you JPEG compression - make sure you are setting it to its highest quality setting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back