Help - studio kit, flash, advice appreciated!

Pete'sGirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am an amateur digital photographer. I took photography in college in the days of dark rooms and real film. It has been a while since I have been involved in photography and I really want to start practicing again. There is so much I have forgotten in 15 years!

Can anyone recommend a good but affordable studio photography kit with backdrop? I know the strobe lighting kits are for more advanced photographers. I found this one: Amazon.com: Flash Studio Photography Lighting Kit continuous lighting kit 2 B/w Muslin Support Stand Kit 2 Mini Studio Flash Strobes Light Kit + Case for background stands New By Ephoto INC K103/45AB: Camera & Photo but I can't tell if it is continuous, strobe, or both.

Also, what kind of flash/flash accessories are necessary for portrait photography? I have a Sony a350 and the flash on it is terrible.

Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Adorama Flashpoint 320M monolights. Look into them on the web. Skip that cheap junk continuous lighting stuff that is widely sold on eBay and Amazon...you want flash, not continuous...

My suggestion would be to look at items that have been reviewed if you are going to buy off amazon. That way you can see what other people actually thought about the product.

My suggestion would be to look at items that have been reviewed if you are going to buy off amazon. That way you can see what other people actually thought about the product.

There are hardly any reviews on Amazon, and none for the one that posted.

Adorama Flashpoint 320M monolights. Look into them on the web. Skip that cheap junk continuous lighting stuff that is widely sold on eBay and Amazon...you want flash, not continuous...

That's the thing - this Amazon one says it is both, flash and continuous. So I am totally confused! I will look into the lights you mentioned.

That kit does appear to have both strobe and continuous...that's ridiculous.

What are you planning to shoot? If it's people, then strobes are the way to go. If it's inanimate objects, then continuous lights (and a tripod) would be OK.

Definitely check out the lights linked to by Derrell. You might also look at Alien Bees or some of the other 'entry level' studio strobes.

There are hardly any reviews on Amazon, and none for the one that posted.

Which is why I was suggesting it.

Amazon.com: ePhoto Photography Studio Lighting Kit Fluorescent Photo Digital Video Umbrella Continuous Lighting Kit Set & 6 X9 Black White Muslin Backdrop Background Supporting System Carrying Case by ePhoto INC Kit K103: Camera & Photo

This one's got ten reviews. Many of them have reviews.

Although I do agree with the others, skip this cheap crap and look into the better equipment. I'd rather buy something expensive and not have to replace it for a few years than buy something cheap and replace it frequently.

Last edited:
That kit does appear to have both strobe and continuous...that's ridiculous.

What are you planning to shoot? If it's people, then strobes are the way to go. If it's inanimate objects, then continuous lights (and a tripod) would be OK.

Definitely check out the lights linked to by Derrell. You might also look at Alien Bees or some of the other 'entry level' studio strobes.

People. And like I said, I am not trying to be a professional yet. I just want something that allows me to take portraits of family for now.

Here's a page that shows how to use just TWO lights for portraiture.

TWO LIGHT EXAMPLES

The Adorama 320M lights are fine. So are the Calument Genesis lights KmH linked to above...those two setups represent what *I think* are the best values in entry-level monolight lighting setups. Alien Bees cost significantly more money,and frankly, I do not think they are worth it for the person just starting out, unless you have a budget in the $1800 range, or more...

I was just looking at this. I hope these come with instructions... I have never used flash lighting.
The lights themselves, are fairly easy to use, once you figure out how you are going to trigger them. Most will come with a cord that has a 'PC' connector. But only higher end cameras have a PC socket. So you would need a hot-shoe to PC adapter. A better option may be a wireless radio trigger set. They can be as cheap as $40, or up to $500.

So operating the lights isn't hard, but knowing how to use them properly & effectively is another story. It's not something you will find in the instruction manual...and it's not something you can learn in a day or two. But have hope, there are many resources for learning this stuff, and we can certainly help you.

I am an amateur digital photographer. I took photography in college in the days of dark rooms and real film. It has been a while since I have been involved in photography and I really want to start practicing again. There is so much I have forgotten in 15 years!

Can anyone recommend a good but affordable studio photography kit with backdrop? I know the strobe lighting kits are for more advanced photographers. I found this one: Amazon.com: Flash Studio Photography Lighting Kit continuous lighting kit 2 B/w Muslin Support Stand Kit 2 Mini Studio Flash Strobes Light Kit + Case for background stands New By Ephoto INC K103/45AB: Camera & Photo but I can't tell if it is continuous, strobe, or both.

Also, what kind of flash/flash accessories are necessary for portrait photography? I have a Sony a350 and the flash on it is terrible.

Thanks!

I have the exact kit that Derrell and KmH suggested, and it is great! I also have a show flash with an extra stand and umbrella. I agree with all others - Stay Away From that Kit on Amazon. Not that I have anything against Amazon, as I've actually bought 75% of my gear through them. But that kit is not what you need.
For now, while I'm still in my learning stages, I went with the Cactus v4 radio triggers. As I progress, I'll look into Pocket Wizards, etc.
As far as learning to use the lights, check out the Mark Wallace videos on Youtube, and the Adorama Learning Center.
Good Luck.

Im building mine around a few speedlites and triggers with umbrella kits and stands so it can be totally portable for shooting outside as well as in studio.

I'm in almost the exact same shoes as the OP. Just getting into portrait photography and just learning about lighting, I decided continuous lighting would be a good way to start. That way I won't have to keep doing test shots to get my settings right as the subjects sit around and wait.

I have this kit:
Amazon.com: ePhoto Photography Video Lighting Light Kit & 3 Muslins Backdrop Background Chroma Key Chromakey Black White Green Screen Photo Portrait Studio Umbrella Cool Fluorescent Continuous Lighting Kit By Ephoto INC ULS69: Electronics

And although there aren't any reviews, I've had a blast playing with it, and the continuous lighting is a real help while I'm still learning.

Here is a kit with a bunch of reviews, similar to the kit you were originally looking at, except continuous lighting.

Amazon.com: CowboyStudio Photo Photography Video Studio Continous Lighting Light kit, 10' X 12' Black & White Muslin Backdrops with Backdrop Support System: Electronics

Though in practice strobes may be more ideal, for family portraits and practicing with light there isn't anything wrong with a super entry level continuous light package, IMO.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back