Help! What Settings?! ahhh

CourtneyAK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
At my kids Karate Graduation...starts in 1/2 hour. Low light only camera flash....using Nikon D7000...what setting should I use? Everything is coming out blurry...

What is your fastest lens?

Hate to be a turd, but you won't get too much help with the old "what settings" question. It is sooo dependant on the lighting where you are, none of us can say what to use. Sure you will get some starting points, but ultimately it depends on your venue.

Use a good fast lens if you have one, and bump iso up until it exposes properly. Don't use your shutter speed to expose as you will get blurry photos most likely. It's better to deal with high noise than blur.

bump your iso a bit to get that shutter speed up

Florescent lights...using Nikkor 70-300mm VR ED lens...

Not much you can do there, you are at the mercy of the strength of the lights and ISO. You will need iso up to get shutter speed up, so you might do best to shoot in S mode (Shutter Priority) set it to about 250-300 ish and let the camera do the rest. Really best at 500, but you got a nice lens and the VR will help. Set your focus to AI Servo (Might be AF Continuous or something like that for Nikon, I forget...lol) for moving targets, and don't forget to pause a sec for the VR to kick in.

Good luck.

If you are shooting fast shutter speeds to stop action, you DON'T want to use VR...by the time the image stabilizes, you will miss the shot. My advice:

Manual mode
AF/C, 9 point
Auto ISO, max @6400
Set your lens to it's widest aperture (aperture will change based on focal length of lens)
Shutter speed at least 1/300...
Depending on the age group and pace of the action, you may need a higher shutter speed. You will have to see what the available light will allow. If you are allowed to use flash, then that changes things...

bump your iso a bit to get that shutter speed up

I agree, the blur your getting is probably due to a telephoto lens and a slow shutter speed......

If your only using the on camera pop-up flash and taking shots of something with a 300mm lens forget it, chances are its not going to have any effect on what your photographing (or at most little effect)

Id put the flash away and bump your ISO up till you can get a shutter speed of at least 1/125 (Preferably more if you can get away with it 1/250 or more would be better. especialy if the lens/camera has no image stabilisation)

Its gonna depend on how capable your camera is at high ISO, Im not sure on the D7000 performance, but Id guess its probably pretty good.....You may even get away with 3200 ISO, slightly grainy shots at a high ISO has gotta be better than blurred out of focus ones due to camera shake. :eyebrows:

Even if your getting noise, what's better a little bit of grain and noise or no shots at all? Don't be afraid to get it high enough to get your shots in focus

I can get useable shots at 6400 ISO with my D7000 when shooting basketball...I don't prefer to live up there, but I will shoot there if that's all the light will allow me...

Yea I thought that the D7000 would have pretty good ISO performance.
My 50D is very acceptable prints at 3200 but can get away with 6400.....steer well clear of the 12000 one though... More grain than a camera phone on mine lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea I thought that the D7000 would have pretty good ISO performance.
My 50D is very acceptable prints at 3200 but can get away with 6400.....steer well clear of the 12000 one though... More grain than a camera phone on mine lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

The key is nailing the exposure. If you underexpose the noise is much more pronounced. With a little cleanup in LR4, I would have no problems printing a 4x6, or 5x7 @6400 ISO.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back