AF on 70-200mm f2,8 is not working

Psytrox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Been out of the hobby for a while, but picked up my camera the other day, a Nikon d7000.

Using my 70-200 F2,8, my camera won’t auto focus. With the 24-70mm f2,8 the auto focus does work.

I haven’t used the camera for perhaps 2-3 years, but everything was working perfectly last time.

Battery fully charged, reset camera to factory settings, AF is switched on on the lens.

Any advice on how to fix this?

Clean the contacts on the lens and see if that fixes it. Otherwise, you may have to send it off for repair.

My 70-200 just developed this problem, but I purchased it used.

Sometimes just a microfiber cloth rubbed across the contacts cleans them up enough to solve the problem (if the contacts are the issue). I've also used deoxit before to clean contacts: DeoxIT®, #D100P (Pen) - CAIG

hmm, interesting. It went from being completely dead in the VF, to making that red oof light after I cleaned the connectors a bit.

I don’t have the connector cleaning pen, but I do have the spray. I’ll spray some on a cloth and give it a go tonight :)

The 70-200 2.8, some editions, would develop a friction area at the near end of the focus range and get stuck. AF works just fine, but if it focuses closer than a couple of meters, then internal part starts dragging and the focus motor is not always strong enough to refocus on more distant items. This affects turning the focus ring manually as well; if the lens is stuck at the near end, it can be difficult to get it loosened back up.

If your focus ring works OK, but it's just AF that doesn't work, then this isn't your issue, but if the lens is stuck at a short focus distance, then it's not AF that doesn't work, it's a physical issue with the lens internally.

Most reactions

Back