Help! Which focus mode is it??

SabrinaO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Which focus mode is it that follows a subject and keeps them in focus? I usually shoot in single point focus for newborns and small children in my studio. I'm shooting an event outdoors tomorrow with children and "single point focus" I know is not going to work....
help is appreciated!

Al Focus. Your shooting canon?

I shoot Nikon ;)

Is there a similar mode to "al focus" with nikon?

continuous mode

AF-S = single servo
AF-C = continuous

and then maybe you wanna go with auto area?

I'm confused. So i should shoot in AF-C = continuous mode? What is auto area? Thanks for your quick responses guys!

auto area... is that when the camera chooses the subject to focus on?? I don't like that too much if that's what it is. If so... hopefully it will focus on faces?

continuous mode will constantly change focus to track your subject.

i shoot in single focal point mode, so if you do this as well, as long as your focal point is still on the subj it'll focus as the subject moves...

i believe...though i have never used it...that auto area will do its best to pick the subject based on information and in conjunction with AF-C would continue maintaining focus as the subject moves.

i'm not sure i was very clear lol. let me know how i did ;)

*edit*
personally, i say go with AF-C on single AF point mode...see how that goes.

lol most likely due to my horrible explaination :lmao:

continuous mode will constantly change focus to track your subject.

i shoot in single focal point mode, so if you do this as well, as long as your focal point is still on the subj it'll focus as the subject moves...

i believe...though i have never used it...that auto area will do its best to pick the subject based on information and in conjunction with AF-C would continue maintaining focus as the subject moves.

i'm not sure i was very clear lol. let me know how i did ;)

*edit*
personally, i say go with AF-C on single AF point mode...see how that goes.

Single point focus will focus as the subject moves??? I am more confused than ever.... not your fault because I wish i had my camera with me. I left it at my studio...
But when i shot my son in single point focus... he'd move and i had to let go of the shutter and refocus pressing down halfway again. The only time i got good shots was when he was still...a rare thing for a toddler! lol. It was a disaster. Lots of blurry shots... :p

Anyways maybe i should just grab my camera and come back to this thread with my questions because its hard to know what you are saying without it.

Put the camera in to AF-C, single point focus and keep the focus bracket on the subject as it's moving. The focus will change with the subject as long as that is happening. Then shoot! The key is keeping your focus point on the subject or else the camera will focus on what you move it to, thus making your subject out of focus.

Put the camera in to AF-C, single point focus and keep the focus bracket on the subject as it's moving. The focus will change with the subject as long as that is happening. Then shoot! The key is keeping your focus point on the subject or else the camera will focus on what you move it to, thus making your subject out of focus.

Thank you! I can't wait to try this out!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back