Help with a $500 Canadian Camera Purchase.

getochkn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've liked photography for years and my last point and shoot died. I'm going on a nice trip to Scotland and Ireland, so lots of scenery and castles and landscapes, and looking to get a nice camera to bring along.

My budget is about $500 Canadian which puts me at the following 3

Canon EOS M10

Nikon 1 J5

Sony A5000

Canon Rebel T6

All the mirrorless have a flip up screen which is nice for selfie's which I'll be doing lots of on my trip. None of the mirrorless have a EVF, so that's not a deal breaker and seems I need to get up to the $700+ range for that, so that's a bit out of budget.

Or if anyone has any other ~$500 recommendations for a camera + lens, mirrorless, or DSLR.

Is anyone of the 4 that much better than the others or all they all pro/con back and forth at that price point?

Thanks for you help. It's a tough decision.

I've seen a used Nikon D3400 + 18-55 kit within your budget, if not, the D3300 + 18-55 kit.

Might be worth checking out.

Like @nerwin said, you could try for the Nikon DSLRs; however, they're likely over the $500CAD budget?

Go used to save money.

For traveling like that, IMO, a mirrorless system would be great. Small size, portable, yet great pictures. Check out used Olympus cameras. There's an Olympus 14-150 which has great range for travel, and is quite compact. I'm slightly biased, because I recently purchased Olympus and am still in the honeymoon phase.

Two additional questions to think about:
  1. How are you going to use the photos from the trip? (Do you require a camera more than your phone? Do you require more than an advanced P&S?)
  2. How are you going to use the camera after the trip?

You can get used Olympus EM5 with 14-42mm kit lens for that price. Check out kijiji.

What's a good "shutter count" for a used camera? Looking at a few used ones around my area.

Most used DSLRs you will find are under 50,000 unless they are pro bodies which could have 100k+ easy.

Most DSLRs are rated around 150k clicks but I've seen some far more than that.

Shutter count isn't something I'd worry about.

If you gave me CAD 500 and told me to get a camera for a trip.
including taxes : Lumix FZ200
excluding taxes: well... the OMD EM10 II + 14-42 is only $599.99 right now

Most reactions

Back