Help with camera (body) & lense choice?

voyageaimer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,

I wasn't sure where I should post this, as I have just discovered and registered the PhotoForum. I have been a heavy user of forums (TripAdvisor & numerous auto forums) for years, but I am relatively new to photography. I have always had a passion for it but I never tried to go real in-depth.

My first camera was the instant print Polaroid (can't think of the name) in my early year. Fast-forward and I have my using my Canon T3 with the kit lense (18-55mm) for the past 2-3 years, as well as a GoPro black edition (and of course, the infamous iPhone's). My travel obsession has made my interest in photography even greater.

Anyway, finally to the point :). I really like my camera and I think it takes very good-great pictures, but I know it is outdated and is certainly not the best out there. I was originally looking at upgrading to the T5i until I read that it utilizes the same imaging sensor? that goes way back to T2i. I'm now almost 100% set on getting the T6i, but I'm unsure which lense to get with it? I would like to keep it to $200 or less.

Keep the lens you have and just buy the body! If you want to upgrade might as well go with the T6i, as the T5i will not be much of an actual upgrade sensor performance wise. If anything maybe pick up a 35mm or 50mm prime lens.

Do you have a flash. That would also be a good investment to help improve shots when it's not light enough. If you get one that works off camera that would be best. There are other brands that work with Canon that is less expensive than Canon flashes. Quite a bit less in some cases.

@ behasajeep - Yes, that is my intention! The problem is I would be looking to sell my (current) T3... and I think I can get more money for it if I at least include the kit lense. The issue there is that the kit 18-55 lense is my only universal lense. Including that with the sale of the T3 would leave me with my 75-300mm lense, which is obviously not a good choice for every shot.

@ behasajeep - Yes, that is my intention! The problem is I would be looking to sell my (current) T3... and I think I can get more money for it if I at least include the kit lense. The issue there is that the kit 18-55 lense is my only universal lense. Including that with the sale of the T3 would leave me with my 75-300mm lense, which is obviously not a good choice for every shot.

I think you could do very nicely if you pushed your budget for the lens a little bit...maybe to $300, and if you're willing to buy the body and the lens used. (I bought my camera and all but one of my lenses used...)

Tamron and Sigma both make 17-50mm F2.8 lenses that are very sharp and would be perfect for the T6i. You should be able to find one of them used for no more than $300.

Basically, I can get the T6i body for around $520...whereas Canon is selling them for a whopping $700?! Or I can get the T6i "kit" with the 18-55mm for around $560ish.

I would go with a prime lens, 50mm or 35mm for the price range you are looking....:1247:

I would go with a prime lens, 50mm or 35mm for the price range you are looking....:1247:

So buy a body and get a prime lense, skipping the kit lense? I found a cheaper version of the Canon 50mm 1.8 for $50. Yongnuo is the brand.

I'd go with a 35mm, I find that focal length much more useful on crop sensor bodies than 50mm.

I'm not familiar with that brand but you should be able to find a nice used Canon 50mm for a reasonable price as well..... If you can get a better deal for just the body I would say skip the kit lens and go for a prime lens, once you start shooting with a prime lens you would most likely not pick up the kit lens again.

So buy a body and get a prime lense, skipping the kit lense? I found a cheaper version of the Canon 50mm 1.8 for $50. Yongnuo is the brand.
The Yongnuo is hit or miss in the reviews. But I noticed that some people forgot to remove a protective film from the bottom element. They would take off the protective film from the front element, but leave the back element covered. Since it's new, no idea about it's longevity either.

The Yongnuo is hit or miss in the reviews. But I noticed that some people forgot to remove a protective film from the bottom element. They would take off the protective film from the front element, but leave the back element covered. Since it's new, no idea about it's longevity either.

I'd honestly avoid the Yongnuo lenses, it just doesn't seem worth it. But you are right, it's hit and mess. Some people manage to get really good copies and others, horrible copies.

They do make nice flashes tho.

Sensor tech improvements get smaller and smaller each generation.

Thus buying a new camera for the new sensor is not an update that you will really notice in the images.

Thus buying a new camera for the new sensor is not an update that you will really notice in the images.

Agreed.

The image quality of my D610 is fantastic, don't see any reason to upgrade to get that maybe 5 percent extra image quality. I'd prefer to invest in better glass.

Agreed.

The image quality of my D610 is fantastic, don't see any reason to upgrade to get that maybe 5 percent extra image quality. I'd prefer to invest in better glass.

In isolation, I agree with both of you.

But that’s not what the OP was talking about. His camera was from 2010, and the camera he upgraded to doubled the resolution, has far greater low light capabilities, can take 1080p video, etc etc etc.

It’s timely to upgrade at a certain point, especially when you find a deal that you can’t pass up.

Agreed.

In isolation, I agree with both of you.

But that’s not what the OP was talking about. His camera was from 2010, and the camera he upgraded to doubled the resolution, has far greater low light capabilities, can take 1080p video, etc etc etc.

It’s timely to upgrade at a certain point, especially when you find a deal that you can’t pass up.

Thanks! You took the words right out of my mouth. I think there are a numbers of unquestionable improvements of my new (on-order) camera and my previous camera. I see there points in that the "upgrade" between one generation to the next is likely too minimal to notice any difference.

Most reactions

Back