Help with editing in LightZone

Wizard1500

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I use LightZone, and am trying to learn how to edit RAW images. These 2 images are from the same NEF. I am not happy with first image, but am using it to compare the second. Notice in the second image I am losing data around the edges of the flowers. Is this "fringing"?...whether it is or not, how do I get rid of it.

DSC_0320_lzn-2 by Carl Summers, on Flickr

DSC_0320_lzn-1 by Carl Summers, on Flickr

Not familiar with that software but not fringing as I know it. This looks like a selection was made and the edge was moved in/out, since it's so uniform around the edges of the flowers.

In the second image you made a selection around the flowers -- right?

The difference you created between the flowers and the background is pretty extreme -- we're seeing the feather edge of your selection. You may want to increase the feather and make the difference less extreme.

Joe

The difference you created between the flowers and the background is pretty extreme -- we're seeing the feather edge of your selection. You may want to increase the feather and make the difference less extreme.

Joe

OK, if I understand, then the zone that I am selecting should be larger, correct? (I tried to line the zone right on the edge of the flowers)... If so, I can see how that would cure the problem....Thank you.....

Joe

OK, if I understand, then the zone that I am selecting should be larger, correct? (I lined tried to line the zone right on the edge of the flowers)... If so, I can see how that would cure the problem....Thank you.....

No, the zone you're selecting should not be larger -- it should be feathered more. When you establish a selection zone you see two lines on screen. The outside line demarks the zone while the inner line sets the feather. You need to expand the feather by pulling the inner line in away from the outside line.

Joe

Thanks Joe. I'll go back and try that.....

Joe, once again I thank you for your help....read help file, and combined with what you wrote, I got it figured out.....much better now.... Thanks, again.....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back