Help with Exposure on Canon DSLR?

amazing

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recetnly purchased a Canon T1i, and whenver I do a slow shutter speed for an exposure of a fountain, the resulted image is all whitel, wt is wrong and what settings do I need?

You don't say what shutter speed, nor what shooting mode you used.

It's all white because to much light is getting to the image sensor.

To use a slow shutter speed the aperture of the lens needs to be much smaller like f/16 or so to restrict how much light can get in while the shutter is open for a long time.

3 things control the exposure:
  • Shutter speed
  • lens aperture
  • image sensor ISO setting
If you change one, you have to change at least one other, and maybe both of the other, to make an acceptable image.

Reading those sections of the camera users manual that explain exposure a couple of times is always helpful.

what settings should I use?

it helps to upload a couple of photos you're referring to

That depends on your knowledge of the exposure triangle (shutter speed, aperture, ISO) how much light there is, and what you're trying to take a picture of.

If your knowledge of the exposure triangle is limited, put it in P mode, let the camera choose the settings, then put it in manual mode and use the same settings. Then vary one of the settings up and down slightly to see what effect that has on each exposure.

Also, many times if you're shooting a waterfall during the day the best/only way to get the smooth water is to have some sort of a neutral density filter on the lens (well, the only way to do that and have a properly exposed image).

Start playing with your aperture while leaving your shutter speed where it is and see what happens. As you play with it more and more, the method towards a good exposure will start to become more clear.

Good luck and keep shooting!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back