Help with lenses choice

AnthonyCorbo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was looking at the 50 mm nikon 1.8 D lens formy nikon d40 today and i love the 1.8 f stop. But i think i want something with a bit a flexibility like zoom wise like maybe a 18-50mm if there is one. I am a noob and im learning but i need you guys advice. For budget im looking at around 160$.
So is there a lens with a aperture than will go to either 1.8 oreven 2.8 with a zoom.( sorry for noob terms:lol:).
Thanks in advance:thumbup:

I've never seen a zoom with an aperture of less than 2.8 and the ones at 2.8 are expensive. For $160 you are going to get a kit lens like the one that came with your camera. You can get primes like the 50mm 1.8 for less than $100 and zoom with your feet.

At this point, I have not seen one zoom lens that the aperture can go as wide as F/1.8. Maybe there are some out there that I do not know. Even if someone make one, it is going to be very expensive. I mean VERY expensive.

As for the Max aperture for the zoom lens, F/2.8 is the widely available. From wide angle zoom, standard zoom to telephone zoom. In general they cost more but the quality of those lens are usually very good especially if the max aperture size can be F/2.8 throughout the entire zoom range.

However, for US$160, I believe you can only get a 50mm F/1.8 new. And 1x to 5xmm F/2.8 lenses (from different manufacturers) usually cost $3xx or more.

Sigma 24-60MM F/2.8. They can be had for 200 bucks or less. Search eBay and FredMiranda.com. Of course the only problem is that it wont auto focus on your body, and the weight of the lens may be more than the camera body, so might take some getting used to. But its an awesome lens.

OK, but both of those are close to $2000. Hardly an option for the OP who is looking for a $160 lens.

Nor would they fit on a Nikon, nor would any other f/2 zoom cost $160, but that wasn't the point.

You're not trying hard enough!

DUCT-TAPE-3M.jpg

Most reactions

Back