Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Currently I have:

Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon 180mm f2.8
Nikon 300mm f4
Tamron 28-75 f2.8

All of which I am happy with.

I am thinking about getting either a wide angle like Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Tokina 12-28 f4 or the Nikon 85mm f1.8.

I mainly take pictures of HS marching band, basketball and softball.
I would like the wide angle just to have a wide angle.
I would like the 85mm 1.8 for low light in the gym for basketball, night time softball, and for dimly lit auditoriums for concert band.

Any thoughts as to which of the above would be the next lens to get, or should I be looking at something else.
Leaning towards the 85mm right now... especially since it is on sale at the moment.

Thanks,
Todd

I think you could use both the 11-16 & the 85 1.8g. I think it comes down to what you feel you need more.

I love both of those lenses, but wouldn't want one more than the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What body would these go on?

Tokina 12-28 f4 has kind of gotten onto my radar, since its a DX lens with a big image circle, and it works from 18mm all the way to 28mm with FULL 24x36mm coverage on FX Nikons...which makes it sort of future-proof if you end up using both a DX and an FX setup. As ultra-wides go, it's pretty sharp according the the Ken Rockwell review, and it has exceptionally low,low geometric distortion. He is really sold on that Tokina, for a number of reasons. Tokina's AT-X lenses are built like small, brick outbuildings too.

The 85/1.8 G is a fast-focusing lightweight lens that's very sharp and high-rez across almost the entire frame, even pretty wide open. The combo of 85mm focal length and f/1.8 DOES make for a good short or medium tele (short telephoto on FX, medium telephoto on DX), so that gives you a pretty good focal length for shooting from 20 to 100 feet or so for events. Yes, we think of f/2.8 as being "fast", but f/1.8 is faster, and it gives that extra shutter speed edge, and that extra little bit of ISO leverage, and at the 40-100 foot range even wide-open, the depth of field is pretty good.

Tokina 12-28 f4 has kind of gotten onto my radar, since its a DX lens with a big image circle, and it works from 18mm all the way to 28mm with FULL 24x36mm coverage on FX Nikons...which makes it sort of future-proof if you end up using both a DX and an FX setup. As ultra-wides go, it's pretty sharp according the the Ken Rockwell review, and it has exceptionally low,low geometric distortion. He is really sold on that Tokina, for a number of reasons. Tokina's AT-X lenses are built like small, brick outbuildings too. The 85/1.8 G is a fast-focusing lightweight lens that's very sharp and high-rez across almost the entire frame, even pretty wide open. The combo of 85mm focal length and f/1.8 DOES make for a good short or medium tele (short telephoto on FX, medium telephoto on DX), so that gives you a pretty good focal length for shooting from 20 to 100 feet or so for events. Yes, we think of f/2.8 as being "fast", but f/1.8 is faster, and it gives that extra shutter speed edge, and that extra little bit of ISO leverage, and at the 40-100 foot range even wide-open, the depth of field is pretty good.

ya my 11-16 could double as a non-explosive grenade. i also hear it makes a very good 16mm prime on FX

Most reactions

Back