Help with Post Processing

Kedarnag138

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm still very new to post processing, would like to get some help on how to process the following image.

DSC03808.jpg

Appreciate the help. Thank you

What processing has been done and what is it that you don't like / want to change about it? Maybe the whites are a little warm on the bird but it would help if you can explain what you'd like to see or what you'd to change..

What processing has been done and what is it that you don't like / want to change about it? Maybe the whites are a little warm on the bird but it would help if you can explain what you'd like to see or what you'd to change..
I have removed noise and cropped those are the only processing I have done. I would like to see more detail on wings, as it is bright, I feel it is over exposed.

I have removed noise and cropped those are the only processing I have done. I would like to see more detail on wings, as it is bright, I feel it is over exposed.

The detail you'd like to see on the wing is captured in the raw (ARW) file if you saved it. Processing the ARW file to keep that detail would be easy. Not a lot of improvement can be made using the JPEG here as most of the detail has been discarded by the camera's processing.

Joe

heron.jpg

I opened it in camera raw, slid the highlights to the dark side until there was no more clipping. That turned the bird a little gray. So I made it a little brighter and raised the clarity slider just a touch for some micro-contrast. If you have the raw file, open it and turn down the highlights. Even the JPG has a lot of detail in the wings. Just watch out, because that will make it look flat and gray.

XL09enFsZP2V7A0dbEYns5z9q9qdmCmZLXSRkE0e2kMUIHrBENoA0UG1Rhwh5-PA5rpoB6RrSyoilPztZ835S6P2-Pfiody1qcvxxrhm7ZyJ5QVjhZ9x5NPErHSCw6Lmgi6Hr1g85-YMam82zt5slpzH9L_IZgC8LhQHRS5yEu8AT8z9Rti0QgIGggmg7SMw2mQeKcjrxC5KkxhJDHihxXlXZNid4IBs17kXTuGKxTnnQHnfwl1nhuySbiJ6pOwCGrULB3Lr_hvDpjIlIlKdZ9uFNPEOhauteQZXHkv9Jf-TrPHN0PMt_c8arcLUDJAbRcXsPN-Q3SRdp3b3J9SbjPUeZW8szp1gtxgxqPPKO3mul4XzOxZEH2b-t86f4_QKAwqYpMnz4oUBElPD2Mx7N905rz4-kOD-8rIdyf4JjL3N_R6bSGAfHJShci5LJhCkcSZ9WPCLqysU5nTI4BdXlGoRxPBfDbEicMLYlyKoKJSKqkQk-aqTyucE1I-nKU_5yb5Ytk7nyLSACGAZ7EWhgHNC5V5XdvGLqCaUfe0dEqE1sDlIuTGCgsXCsTKPnBrvidnJNAngJ55jc68NovycXKWk6rzBsKlXz0WWILVDYEAPx_gS33YtyL2ZnbMHosHntADZE0s3MixPDqoo9Q=w1383-h859-no

The detail you'd like to see on the wing is captured in the raw (ARW) file if you saved it. Processing the ARW file to keep that detail would be easy. Not a lot of improvement can be made using the JPEG here as most of the detail has been discarded by the camera's processing.

Joe

View attachment 168219
Thank you. Yes I have saved the ARW file and I'll make the change and bring out the colors a little more and try to make it not look soft.

I opened it in camera raw, slid the highlights to the dark side until there was no more clipping. That turned the bird a little gray. So I made it a little brighter and raised the clarity slider just a touch for some micro-contrast. If you have the raw file, open it and turn down the highlights. Even the JPG has a lot of detail in the wings. Just watch out, because that will make it look flat and gray.

XL09enFsZP2V7A0dbEYns5z9q9qdmCmZLXSRkE0e2kMUIHrBENoA0UG1Rhwh5-PA5rpoB6RrSyoilPztZ835S6P2-Pfiody1qcvxxrhm7ZyJ5QVjhZ9x5NPErHSCw6Lmgi6Hr1g85-YMam82zt5slpzH9L_IZgC8LhQHRS5yEu8AT8z9Rti0QgIGggmg7SMw2mQeKcjrxC5KkxhJDHihxXlXZNid4IBs17kXTuGKxTnnQHnfwl1nhuySbiJ6pOwCGrULB3Lr_hvDpjIlIlKdZ9uFNPEOhauteQZXHkv9Jf-TrPHN0PMt_c8arcLUDJAbRcXsPN-Q3SRdp3b3J9SbjPUeZW8szp1gtxgxqPPKO3mul4XzOxZEH2b-t86f4_QKAwqYpMnz4oUBElPD2Mx7N905rz4-kOD-8rIdyf4JjL3N_R6bSGAfHJShci5LJhCkcSZ9WPCLqysU5nTI4BdXlGoRxPBfDbEicMLYlyKoKJSKqkQk-aqTyucE1I-nKU_5yb5Ytk7nyLSACGAZ7EWhgHNC5V5XdvGLqCaUfe0dEqE1sDlIuTGCgsXCsTKPnBrvidnJNAngJ55jc68NovycXKWk6rzBsKlXz0WWILVDYEAPx_gS33YtyL2ZnbMHosHntADZE0s3MixPDqoo9Q=w1383-h859-no
Thank you. This looks better. I'll try the one you have mentioned.

We both redid it in RAW, though had somewhat differing results...still, it is in the whites and highlights

egret in raw.jpg

egret3.jpg

I did a quick Lightroom edit of the shot...to me, this portion of the bird needed a Minus 0.6 EV burn-down.
Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 8.55.38 PM.png

I did a quick Lightroom edit of the shot...to me, this portion of the bird needed a Minus 0.6 EV burn-down.

Not always, but most of the time when shooting birds that I know are going to be against a bright sky, I set my camera for a minus .7 EV. Not so coincidentally, Egrets exhibit just about the same brightness so I generally have to do very little in post.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back