Help with roofing commercial

MarkFry

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

I am an owner of a roofing company and have a very low budget to say the least but would like to shoot a commercial for TV/ YouTube / Facebook. I have no experience no camera or nothing but the DSLR camera shooting with maybe a speed up of a time lapse of us installing a roof with some audio. Can someone give me some direction on an affordable camera that will shoot this type of video? I saw on Bering Sea Gold where it would take a 12 hour day and make it into a 30 sec spot with some added audio I think I can make a roofing commercial. Any feed back is welcome.

Thanks
Mark

Show a guy, laying on a broken donkey lawn ornament . Hammer in one hand and shingle in the other. Shoot a sign. Time to call a pro before you bust you ass.

How much do you have budgeted for a camera/lens, and a decent tripod?

For about $700 you can get a used - Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2KK 16.05 MP and 14-42mm Lens.

You'll need to find some free software that will let you dub in audio, and you'll still need a decent tripod.

Don't be surprised if it takes several tries before you produce a commercial that is usable.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you thinking of trying to make the commercial yourself? I think if you are on a limited budget, that is still not the best way to go. Better find a local film maker who can give you what you need and if the price is too high, find another or increase your budget. You really need to get some help with this.

find someone in video that needs a roof on their house.

Sorry but I doubt I could pick up a hammer and some roofing nails and fix, not to mention build a roof. Likewise you should consider hiring a pro to do the job you need.

There are probably several gadzillions of videos already on Youtube, etc. showing roofing products, installations, installation methods, and so on, ranging from excellent/informative to gosh-awful and misleading. The real issue is how you plan to use the video in your marketing efforts. As with the use of web-sites to attract customers, there are some very effective techniques, but also many that create false expectations. Before doing the video, you really need to think through what you will use it for, how it will affect your customers' buying decisions, and how it will position you relative to your competition in the area. Once the purpose of the message is clear, then the production means will suggest themselves.

I have a home improvement business and I'm planning on shooting an up coming roofing job. The plan is to setup a GoPro ($500) on my truck with suction cup holder ($30) and set to do a time-lapes. I going to power using a usb auto charger ($29). This allows shooting and charging at the same time. This way I hopefully wont run out of power. The bonus is this setup run through your business is a tax deductible tool.

Sorry but I doubt I could pick up a hammer and some roofing nails and fix, not to mention build a roof. Likewise you should consider hiring a pro to do the job you need.

I am in Brighton Michigan can you direct me to someone that would be able to do this?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back