Help with studio lights!

tinacolada

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ittybittyportraits.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am having toublew tih my studio lights being too bright! I have moved the light (which is on the lowest power) back and found a good distance and my lighting looks good on camera but with a shadow. I tried using two strobes at 45 degree angles to get less of a shadow and better lighting but it's way too bright. I have turned the ISO down to 100 and I am still way too bright. I am trying to move lights back but I am in a VERY limites space and there isn't much room to work with. does any one know any other tricks or ways to get rid of the shadow or will I just have to find a bigger space?

I am so new to this I don't know what modifiers are! I have a 40 inch soft box umbrella that I am using for my main strobe light, my soft box for my hair (not strobing) and another 32 inch umbrella for my fill (strobing). is that what you are talking about? SO SORRY I AM CLUELESS!!

There are a number of factors with lights:

Power
Distance
Direct/Indirect/Diffusion
Camera

The power you've already turned down, so that's out.

The distance is not something you can change in the current setup.

You can bounce light, if your walls are white. This will have the double effect of widening it, lessening it through absorption and reflection angle and diffusing it. You can buy very cheap reflectors, or use brollys, but try turning them around so the light is reflected off the wall.

Camera - Are you seriously getting over-exposure at shutter max and ISO min? Shooting at f8, f11 at 1/8000th or 1/4000th at 50 or 100 ISO needs a hell of a lot of light to blow a picture out and a twin 500W rig probably shouldn't be able to do that.

Can you give us more information on your camera and gear and maybe take a picture of the setup, also include a result picture which you're not happy about and we can really help you!

Good luck!

Rob

I think I have it figured out, I turned the light away like you suggested and it's working a lot better. I am shooting a baby this morning so we will see how it works. I am working with a Nikon d70. I think I have it though, wish me luck! Tina

Most reactions

Back