Help with the D50

stsinner

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The manual has proven utterly useless in so many aspects, especially when you start delving into Manual.

My question is this-in P mode (Programmed Auto), if I turn the selector dial to the right (works both ways, but let's concentrate on right to limit the confusion) the Flexible Program icon come on on the LCD. The manual has this to say:

VariPro.jpg

Now if I just click the dial to the right, this indicator comes on. If I keep going, it stays on, but nothing on the LCD changes, but apparently something is changing because it takes the exact number of clicks to the left as I went right to turn the symbol off.. The shutter speed and aperture aren't changing in the LCD, but the manual says that combinations of shutter speed and aperture can be selected in this mode...

If I hold down the exposure compensation button, I can adjust that and I see it on the LCD, but if I merely turn the dial, something is changing, but I don't know what it is..

Thanks for the help.

Also, I've seen several people in demos talk about Tungsten mode for WB.. What is the equivalent in Nikon, since I don't have Tungsten mode?

Bump.. Come on...

now now stsinner, you know that sometimes it takes time to reply... i use the d50 as well.. but i dont really understand what your asking.... P mode is basically the same as auto, except you have a little more control...

now now stsinner, you know that sometimes it takes time to reply... i use the d50 as well.. but i dont really understand what your asking.... P mode is basically the same as auto, except you have a little more control...

Okay, so switch to P mode, look at your LCD and start slowly clicking the selector wheel to the right.. You'll notice the indicator I mentioned come on, but nothing else changes.. Keep clicking to the right, and you'll also notice that it takes the exact number of left-clicks to get the symbol to disappear.. What is being adjusted/selected as you click on the wheel?

Last edited:
Okay, so switch to P mode, look at your LCD and start slowly clicking the selector wheel to the right.. You'll notice the indicator I mentioned come on, but nothing else changes.. Keep clicking to the right, and you'll also notice that it takes the exact number of left-clicks to get the symbol to disappear.. What is being adjusted/selected as you click on the wheel?

i'll have to look tomorrow.. my 50 is at the office.. just got my 40 here right now

Most reactions

New Topics

Back