Photographing strangers

a1157814a

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I want to make a portfolio of strangers at random places doing everyday things... I read that it isn't illegal to photograph strangers without permission (although I plan on actually asking for some shoots that I want), but how do I deal with that? What I mean is that... if I was for example, at a restaurant and I want to take pics of a person sitting across me but if I just start talking pics, she/he might be all creeped out, but then if I ask for permission, it takes out all the 'natural everyday emotions' ?

take the picture as you are about to leave so that way they don't get the chance to be creeped out. if you don't want to be so underhanded you can take a couple of quick pictures then just explain.

Maybe you should just ask permission or maybe i dont know how old you are but you can tell people it's a school project. That for "school" you have to photograph people doing everyday things.:lol:
Give it a try:thumbup:

You can take pictures of people in a public area.

It is illegal to publish, you will have to verify what "publish" mean, the images without their consent (if they are recognizable).

It is perfectly legal to publish photos of people without their permission, the only case where you have to have a release is for advertising.

It's best to deck yourself out in camoflage. Be sure to wear a slouch hat with branches on it. Creep slowly across any venue. It helps to sing the theme to mission impossible.

Yes, I'm joking. It's been a long day. :)

... and if you say your name is "James Bond" no one will recognize that name and figure out who you are.

as brian gilden says "its my movie, and I photograph, usually people dont get upset, if they do, i explain... they might find me rude, but i have good bedside manner, so i just explain"

posted a million times: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkIWW6vwrvM[/ame]

You can take pictures of people in a public area.

It is illegal to publish, you will have to verify what "publish" mean, the images without their consent (if they are recognizable).

None of this is legitimate here without specifying what country it's for, as it varies from country/state to country/state...

I say screw it all and just ignore the sick world that we live in today.. Chances are they've had their picture taken a thousand times by CCD before you showed up, so just shoot away.. This paranoia crap is getting so ridiculous that I feel guilty taking pictures of my own damn kids at the playground if there are other kids in the shot.. I'm done caring... Pry my SD card out of my cold dead hands if you want to know what I took a picture of..

Last edited:
Try shooting with a stealthy camera. People have a sixth sense about these things. Rangefinders are small and quiet. Many MF cameras, especially TLR's, use waist-level finders so it looks more like you're contemplating your navel than taking a photograph.

I don't like to ask permission to take photographs. Then people pose. I take the photograph, then approach them and give them a card with my email address and Flickr URI on it and tell them I will give them a copy of their photo for free.

The only person who ever gave me a hard time was a cop.

None of this is legitimate here without specifying what country it's for, as it varies from country/state to country/state...

This is true, although it holds constant enough throughout the United States. As an somewhat of an amateur street photographer, I have to ask myself this question all the time, or, more often, "is this worth the argument with the individual, the individual's family/friends and/or the police that it may entail?" Often, the answer is yes. While one can shoot anything he or she wants in a public place (including anyone, even emergency first responders), this is not really all that well known. A good parallel is laws related to cycling: Even though legally I must ride my bike in traffic and in the lane of travel (not the shoulder), I still get buzzed, yelled at, and occasionally hit with things for doing so, sometimes even by cops. If you take a picture of a local police officer (especially doing something embarassing) and he or she sees you, you may be in for an interesting ride. The same goes for a child while a parent is watching.

Ultimately, I don't think it's worth letting this stop you from shooting what you want to. I've never gotten more than a dirty look (except once from a girl who was legitimately wasted), and more often that not, people are so wrapped up in whatever mundane task (or three) they're performing that they won't even notice. However, just because something is completely legal doesn't mean it will never get you into some sort of conflict.

Children are, for some reason involving paranoia and the general apprehension of the evil, evil Internet, the most obsessed-over group is small children. Somehow, as a photographer, there is some sort of evil act I can commit with my black and white negatives that will end up in the worst imaginable violations of the child being spread to every single person on Earth through this unimaginably vile transmission medium. For this reason, I ask when I can with children, mostly toddlers. It's not like they're going to pose for more than a second anyway. Sometimes, however, you just have to pull the trigger:

2900387131_c221e45c7a.jpg

viridari said:
I don't like to ask permission to take photographs. Then people pose. I take the photograph, then approach them and give them a card with my email address and Flickr URI on it and tell them I will give them a copy of their photo for free.

This is a great idea. I am seriously considering doing this myself, although I would lose my Phantom-esque mystery.

If you are not in the United States, this could all be invalid. Laws vary from country to country.

Most reactions

Back