Help With Understanding Photo Enhancing Process Of Colored Image Within A Bottle

georgeingraham

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all..

I am not a photographer, but hope someone here can help myself and collector friends with learning about how this process is accomplished.

We know that this particular bottles image ( which is on the inside of bottle ) was placed there by some means of photography, and are trying to understand how this process might be able to be accomplished.

I hope it is ok to post this link to another forum which describes our delima in great detail..

Maybe someone here would be willing to read through and look at the series of images and be able to help ?

Here is one blown up portion of one image within a bottle. They have photo enhanced "a color" image to the inside of the bottle and then are painting some areas by hand to help bring out the fading of some areas resulting from the process. In this case the hair..

PhotoEnhancedBottle6.jpg

I know it may be an unusual technique and especially unusaul when trying to understand from the perspective of an inside painted Chinese snuff bottle, but thought that it would be a photography related..

It takes a little reading at the link I posted to understand our delima.. We are having difficulties getting a straight answer from the suppliers of these bottles as the intent of these sellers is to misrepresent these bottles as actual "inside painted". When in fact they are fakes.

Our goal as collectors of true "inside painted" Chinese snuff bottles is to expose this technique and the fake bottles for what they are.

After posting this request for help here. Began to Google different key words related to photo process to glass..

I did just stumble upon a product/process called Liquid Light Emulsion. I do not completely understand the process involved and not sure the technique could work on the interior of a bottle.. Not sure if I am on the right track or not ..

Hire an international spy to infiltrate their factory! Just kidding. Have you tried asking college professors or museum curators that specialize in these artifacts? If anyone can spot a fake they can and maybe they know how the fakes are made.

Yes.. Infiltrating the factories would be the way to go, but since it is China it would take a spy to access such a little trade secret !

We are a group of collectors that have just come to realize that these are being put into the market. Collectors within our group vary from the most novice to experts. Including vairous snuff bottle society members.

Since this process seems fairly new, we are doing our best to figure out the process, and just who is at the core of creating these.

Thanks for the reply Cericola.. !

We will eventually figure this one out !

Most reactions

Back