HELP! Xmas lights reflecting off lens?

mommy22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,
I am having an issue with my latest photos in that it seems that my Xmas lights are sending off reflections every which way in the photo and I don't know how to fix it. It is ruining my photos! Any advice would be great.
mommy22
069.jpg

Last edited:
how to post pictures

get yahoo account

go to Welcome to Flickr - Photo Sharing

sign in with yahoo

upload photos & video

browse (pick pic)

go to pic in your pictures

do full size, go to link that says farm3.flickr or smtin

copy paste, go to forum, pic icon in reply box, and paste link in there

It might help to know what kind of camera you are using.

For ghost lights like that, I've found that using as small an aperture (higher f/stop number) as I can helps. The problem, though, is that you need to then go to an equivalently slower shutter speed to get the same exposure. Or go to a higher ISO.

Oh! Totally forgot to look at the exif data! You're shooting that lens WIDE open... that'll give you ghost lights every time. A hood won't help in this situation because the lights that are ghosting are in the frame. Closing down the aperture and removing any filters from the front of the lens are the only things I can think of to help here.

and another one-post-wonder
And, a post like this is going to get her to come back and post/participate some more...

Give her a break, her original post is about an hour old. You expect her to pack in 20 posts in that time?

and another one-post-wonder
And, a post like this is going to get her to come back and post/participate some more...

Give her a break, her original post is about an hour old. You expect her to pack in 20 posts in that time?
lol nah, but 20 eBucks says she never comes back and posts ;)

Thanks for the answer. I went to my first wedding with my camera yesterday as a guest. I was having the same problem. Every time I used my 50mm at f2.8 or larger I would get ghost lights. I will have to practice at home with my dog as a model in front of the Christmas tree to see if a higher f stop will fix my problem.

I have a Nikon D80, using a 1.8 50mm lense

Hmm, do you have any filters on your lens? That could cause a problem like this...
I have a UV filter on it, but just for protection of the lense itself.

Most reactions

Back