Help......

The last time I got an infection, the doctor gave me Penicillin and told me to always use a cond...err, we're not talking about that, are we?

Yeah, AVG only gets rid of viruses, though I haven't tried the new one. Try Ad-Aware. With over 1,000,000 downloads from cnet.com ALONE, it should be pretty good.

http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-2008/3000-8022_4-10045910.html

Also, when you get it downloaded try running it under safe mode on your computer. You access that by pressing F8 (I think) when you start your computer up. Many times ad-ware is running while you're doing a check for it. So your computer finds it, but can't get rid of it (you can't delete a running program). But in safe mode, Windows disables any unnecessary programs, which leaves ad-aware free to get rid of what it needs to.

I hope your infection clears up... :)

The new AVG has adware checks also - It actually picked up a heap of things that Ad-Aware never did especially in registry (440 items) ...

Here's the link to it.
http://www.grisoft.com/ww.product-avg-anti-virus-free-edition

Also check in add/remove programs sometimes things do actually install and list themselves in there - I know the kodak CD that came with my P&S actually installed something I did not need at all or want (didnt get a choice on it also) - only found it cause my firewall picked it up trying to connect out

when i had a pc i used to use a combination of Ad-Aware and Spybot (i think that's what it's called). Between the two of them they got rid of everything.

if Ad-aware and Spybot don't work, you probably let it get way too far to correct... I'd recommend the oh, so drastic measures of reformatting

if Ad-aware and Spybot don't work, you probably let it get way too far to correct... I'd recommend the oh, so drastic measures of reformatting

If you do end up deciding reformatting is necessary, I'd recommend using a linux distro like SystemRescueCD or GParted to make an image of your clean install, saving you loads of trouble if it happens again.

My personal approach is,
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
Free online scanner.
This will clean up most, what it doesnt clean up, it will tell you what was left, and tell where they are located.

Then follow the insruction, restart in safe mode and delete the infected files and the .dlls

I recommend NEVER EVER IN YOUR LIFETIME try Windows Defender.

My brother-in-law went with Windows Defender (WD from here on out) and had to reformat and reinstall his entire computer. His computer was perfectly fine running Norton and was complete junk after installing WD.

The worst was, it hijacked his browser and redirected to some search site for every site he tried to go to. He could no longer use the internet no matter what he did. He could not get rid of it until he reformatted.

Yeah, Ad-aware and Spybot Search and destroy have both failed, I was hoping to avoid the reformat.

mrodgers, Thanks for the heads up. This is not my computer, I got in tonight to find out she (the owner) installed just that...

Time to reformat, I have no choice.

My brother-in-law went with Windows Defender (WD from here on out) and had to reformat and reinstall his entire computer. His computer was perfectly fine running Norton and was complete junk after installing WD.

The worst was, it hijacked his browser and redirected to some search site for every site he tried to go to. He could no longer use the internet no matter what he did. He could not get rid of it until he reformatted.

I think you'll find that the adware directed him to the sites...

And I'll not start on Norton. Horrible stuff! :mrgreen:

Windows Defender is for prevention, not damage control...if the malware compromised the OS that much, I don't think blaming Windows Defender is the answer. I've been happily using it for years. On 5 computers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back