Hi, a few questions..

Strawberry

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,
I actually found your forum through a search engine. I just have a lot of questions and hoped some one would be kind enough to give me a few things to think about.
I know nothing about photography. (insert groans of Oh geez, bored housewife here) But I am really interested. I have registerd to take a beginners class in a few months. I've always been interested, and had ideas of what *I* thought was good, but I suppose everyone does. Anyhow, this was all intensified when I took some pictures of my new son, and posted them on a message board for moms.. I got a lot of responses "Where did you get those done!" etc.
Here comes my dopey questions:
How do you know if you have talent? Does it all come to you naturally?
The pictures I took were all posed, I set up my living room..does that make it less good? I mean.. I think my pictures were a bit better than J.C.Penneys, but how the heck do I know?
Do you HAVE to have talent lol, can you get passably good with practice?
What makes something good??
Thank you for your time, please don't bash the uninformed :)

Strawberry said:

Depends on whom you're trying to please, if it's yourself then you'll know if you have "talent". If you're trying to please anyone else then it becomes a matter of their judgement.
Whichever the case, practice will always help.
Good luck!

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

It's hard for anyone to really know when & if they are any good. Some people will like it, some people will hate it. It's art after all. I think it's important that you like it yourself, or dislike it...as long as you care about it.

One of the reasons that we all come here to the forum is the learn and improve. I think that is just as/or more important that what other people think. Of course I don't make my living doing this...then it's really important what your clients think.

Even the best photographers have to put up their work and ask for critique. You should post up your work and then you can find out what we think.

"Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder."

Welcome to the forum. Just go out there and start snapping. The course will teach you the technical basics. The rest just comes with experience. As for talent - some have it, some don't and some learn it.

Enjoy.

Strawberry said:
If you and others think your pictures are good, then that's a hint that you have talent. A good indicator is whether you have fun taking pictures. I knew when I was 12 that I coult take pictures because a lot of it does come naturally. Since then I've learned a little of technique to help me work with what I was given.
Strawberry said:
I think my pictures were a bit better than J.C.Penneys, but how the heck do I know?
It looks like you know. Instinct takes care of that. You may not know about technique, but you'll know instantly whether the picture is any good. How do I know if any of mine a good? I stop to look at them.
Strawberry said:
Plenty of people get by with zero talent. Their pictures may be technically good, but you may not want to look at them for more than 30 seconds. There are some techniques that are guidelines to "good" (rule of 1/3's for example) but for the most part, good is up to you and if nobody else agrees with you, screw 'em. Enjoy. :D

Thank you all so much :)!
Does dressing things up with software programs make them "cheaty" (yes, I sound 4 years old) I added like shadowy things and whiteish border..

Hmm the more I look at them the more I think I am posessed by the spirit of Olan Mills..

All wonderful advice! I like what I see, but since its *my* baby, maybe that makes it easier.

Even the best photographers have to put up their work and ask for critique. You should post up your work and then you can find out what we think.
Umm, little scared of that :)

Thanks!
Strawberry

Does dressing things up with software programs make them "cheaty" (yes, I sound 4 years old) I added like shadowy things and whiteish border.

"Cheesy" maybe :wink: , but not "cheating". If someone accuses you of "cheating" it just means they have a different interpretation of the rules. I write my own rules, and break them at will.

Umm, little scared of that {critique}

Critique is a good thing. Hopefully it sparks creativity and skill by listening to other folks' ideas about your ideas. At worst, if someone really ticks you off, chalk them up as inferior creative spirits who wouldn't understand your artistic genius, as it's far ahead of it's time. :lol:

Talent can get you started easier, but it's got nothing on hard work and experience in the long run, so just keep shooting as long as you enjoy it.

I have to agree with what everyone here has said. I never took a formal course but have a professional in the family who taught me a lot about the technical side of photography. I'd still like to take a class. For me it has been mostly reading books to see what I should keep in mind when I look for the pictures which has made me adapt my own style of taking pictures.

I know how you feel about the critiques but, like everyone has already pointed out, it's pretty scary to put your work on display for everyone to pick apart but the thing I like best about this forum is that the people here are very tactful in how they critique and will not bash your picture but will share their opinion on how they would've made it better. That part has made me a better photographer and is why I lurk on the forum as much as I do.

Lastly, welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll be spending a lot of time here.

Okay I put 2 of them up in the casual photo forum.. Its very daunting to toss yourself out there when you know you don't know what you are doing and the people looking do :shock:
Only way to learn though!

there are thousands of different types of photography and it is a form of art and art can take the form of many different styles. I think the fact you are doing it and shooting photos shows you have talent. There isn't a photographer out there who takes a perfect photo each time. I have known people who started out not sure which end of the camera to look through and now have photography buisnesses and making money from it.

You keep doing what you do thats the thing about photography you will always see how you can improve yourself and the more you shoot the better you get.

I think the answer is simple. If you enjoy taking pictures.....Just do it. Read and observe others work, professional and amature It has to do with self enjoyment more than anything else. If you are the only one who enjoys your own photo's, well thats just fine also.

If you don't like it....well what's the point?

One thing you will learn very quickly is everyone has different tastes. One may think your photo is sheer genuis, another will think it is mediocore, and another will wonder why you took it in the first place. Some of the pictures posted here I think are extremly good pic's and they get very little response, others if I took them I would throw away and those pictures at times get a huge response. Some pictures most seem to agree with.

DON'T LISTEN TO THOSE PEOPLE!!!!!

Kidding.... :D
Don't worry about talent, skill and what not. Thinking about those things will just hinder you. The most important thing is, are you having fun? If yes, you've done it right.

Most reactions

Back