Hi, I'm new to this site.. / what do you guys think of the Canon EOS 60D?

Ediacol

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I'm new to this site! I've always been interested in photography and lately have been given some positive feedback on some pictures I've taken, except I have a major downfall.. I use an iPhone 4 lol. So I'm looking to upgrade so that I can actually be proud of some of the stuff that I do, and hopefully make something of this hobby. I'm really enjoying some of the things I'm seeing from the Canon EOS 60D. However, I wanted some opinions from people who use them. I also like some of the Nikons out there. My price range is about $1200 so if you have any other competitors that you'd like to suggest please let me know! I love to photograph things that are unpredictable, like nature, children.. animals so something that does well with movement will also help out a great deal.

Thank you for reading I appreciate it greatly :)

$1200 for just the body? Keep in mind you will need to buy lenses as well..

Nikon D7000 is a competitor - perhaps a little bit more. 60D is what I'm going to buy, but coming from another Canon. The newest Nikons have perhaps slightly better sensor. However if you might be interested in video too, Canon is still better.
Look here for some comparison: Canon EOS 60D Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

This is a good point. You will want to invest in a good lens and speed light possibly as well. You don't have to dive in with the equipment right away, it's about learning your camera too.

Thank you guys! I found the 60D at Costco with a lens and the SD card so I was just thinking about getting that package if the camera had good feedback from it's users:)

There's always the Nifty Fifty for $100.

D7000 all the way for photography, if you want video 60D all the way. With your budget, I would say 60D is more in your price range since Body is $899. Nifty Fifty...$100..or Tamron 17-50mm $300 used. GL

At this point, I think anything will be better than the iPhone lol I don't think I'll need to do much with video so I'll def look into the D7000 as you & the poster above both recommended it. Thank You!

D7000 does have full HD videos as well. just only 24p but it's a great choice. I was going to go with D7000 as well but videos made me choose 60D. Why not buy a D90 Nikon and buy some lens and save money? You don't need the D7000 if you're just starting off.

Yeah, I guess you're right I just looked at some photos on flickr in the canon group and loved what the outcome was with the Canon 60D the best, but decided to post where people would actually know what they're talking about to see what other options are out there. I have a huge problem with grain, with the iPhone that's obviously a huge problem and requires alot of editing to make a photo look even halfway decent when taking photos at like "twilight hour" so I wanted to go with something where I wouldn't take some photos and think "ugh the grain is back" I mean obviously most cameras in my range will still have it but.. I'm hoping to find something that doesn't have a lot of grain .. within my price range of course!

Grain is depends on how well the camera can produce in higher ISO. Obvious winner goes to D7000 over 60D in producing less grain in photos in higher ISO performance. It's really up to you, both are good cameras and one is price higher than the other for a reason. If it's your first camera, 60D will be more than you need for the next 5 or so years. It's all about the lens though, and Canon has lens that's cheaper than Nikon. Good body with no good lens = average photos. Good lens + decent body = good photos. Also depends on who's shooting it, just saying it's both the same people with same skills.

You have been a ton of help all of your information is a lot to consider thank you so much I really appreciate it! I think next I just need to go play with the three cameras you talked about side by side & see which "feels" is the best fit for me, I don't mind spending the extra money but if I don't have to then I won't! Thanks again:)

Another vote for either the D90 or D7000. Then again, anything is better than your iPhone 4 right now. :D

Maybe the Nikon D5100 too? It's pretty comparable and a little cheaper. Better noise with higher ISO but video is not quite as good as the Canon. I have a 60D and love it. Though I maybe might have considered a Nikon were it not for the video (after having had to shoot a low-light event).

Also there's the T3i and T2i from Canon which all use basically the same sensor as the 60D so the photos are nearly identical. The body and focus on the 60D is improved slightly though.

Yeah, I guess you're right I just looked at some photos on flickr in the canon group and loved what the outcome was with the Canon 60D the best, but decided to post where people would actually know what they're talking about to see what other options are out there. I have a huge problem with grain, with the iPhone that's obviously a huge problem and requires alot of editing to make a photo look even halfway decent when taking photos at like "twilight hour" so I wanted to go with something where I wouldn't take some photos and think "ugh the grain is back" I mean obviously most cameras in my range will still have it but.. I'm hoping to find something that doesn't have a lot of grain .. within my price range of course!

Let me remind you that it is the photographer that takes the photos, not the camera. I guarantee that you'll be able to do everything you want to do with the 60D, even a 550D which soon isn't available in store any longer (at least in Norway) as the 600D is slowly replacing it. With the 60D you get a bigger body, faster continuous shooting etc.. just "better" hardware. It'll take time to outgrow a 550D or a 600D, as they are extremely competent cameras. the general opinion is to not invest in body, but invest in lenses, as those are the main factor for image quality :)

Just learn to use whatever camera you end up with, don't shoot at full auto. In my personal opinion, if you shoot at auto with an slr, you could have saved the money and "just" get a compact camera. Learn to use it, learn to compose. Photography at its best means to make the viewer feel sometime, either that's fear, relaxing and calm, pride, awe, sympathy... the list goes on. Then only limiting factor is you and your creative half of your brain......... and a little bit of your equipment ;)

Good luck! :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back