Hi! Im the new kid on the block....

Playboy_Mommy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My name is Michelle. I've had a passion for photography for about 15 years, ever since someone gave me an old Minolta SLR and I shot my first roll of black and white film, but I'm just now learning all of the technical stuff. In the past I've taken some good pictures, and I just sort of go by "feel" - what feels right, what doesn't work - and kind of taught myself on the fly. I've always felt like I can do even more with my camera if I can just understand aperture, ISO, shutter speed, lighting, etc, and how to use them.

So I finally broke down and bought a DSLR (though I will NEVER stop using film - there's just something magical about it!) and signed up for a Basic Photography class at the local community college. I stumbled across this forum and thought "Hey, what the hell, why not? I'm sure these people can help me!"

About me? I'm a 38 year old mother of 2 beautiful teenage girls. I'm gay. I love music, art, cooking, fashion, design. I suffered a back injury about 3 1/2 years ago which totally changed my life. I've had multiple spine surgeries and have more in my future. As a direct result, I lost my job and had a lot of free time on my hands while trying to heal and get well. I've been forced by my limitations to slow down. Instead of sinking into "sad bastard mode" and letting depression drag me down, I decided to look at this as an opportunity to really devote myself to photography, to learning the technical piece, to becoming a better photographer and to create some beautiful art that, maybe, if I'm lucky, will evoke some sort of emotion for at least one person. If I can do that.....well, then this disaster will have been worthwhile.

So teach me! Advise me! Guide me! I'm like a damn sponge and I will soak up anything you want to give me! 😛

Welcome to the forum. Use the search option and you will find answers to loads if stuff, anything else just ask.

My name is Michelle. I've had a passion for photography for about 15 years, ever since someone gave me an old Minolta SLR and I shot my first roll of black and white film, but I'm just now learning all of the technical stuff. In the past I've taken some good pictures, and I just sort of go by "feel" - what feels right, what doesn't work - and kind of taught myself on the fly. I've always felt like I can do even more with my camera if I can just understand aperture, ISO, shutter speed, lighting, etc, and how to use them.

So I finally broke down and bought a DSLR (though I will NEVER stop using film - there's just something magical about it!) and signed up for a Basic Photography class at the local community college. I stumbled across this forum and thought "Hey, what the hell, why not? I'm sure these people can help me!"

About me? I'm a 38 year old mother of 2 beautiful teenage girls. I'm gay. I love music, art, cooking, fashion, design. I suffered a back injury about 3 1/2 years ago which totally changed my life. I've had multiple spine surgeries and have more in my future. As a direct result, I lost my job and had a lot of free time on my hands while trying to heal and get well. I've been forced by my limitations to slow down. Instead of sinking into "sad bastard mode" and letting depression drag me down, I decided to look at this as an opportunity to really devote myself to photography, to learning the technical piece, to becoming a better photographer and to create some beautiful art that, maybe, if I'm lucky, will evoke some sort of emotion for at least one person. If I can do that.....well, then this disaster will have been worthwhile.

So teach me! Advise me! Guide me! I'm like a damn sponge and I will soak up anything you want to give me! 

Hi Michelle,

Not sure where your at on the whole aperture/shutter speed/iso thing but I can give you some real quick basics. They might be a little too basic but if I'm telling you anything you already know feel free to skip to the end.. lol.

Ok, starting with aperture. The aperture rating on a lens is a measure of how much light the lens will allow to pass through. The lower the aperture number, the wider open the lens is and the more light it allows to pass. That might seem backwards, but apertures are actually expressed as fractions. So, an aperture of 2.8 will actually allow more light to pass through it than an aperture of 4.

Wider apertures allow you to get more light, so as a result you can use either faster shutter speeds or lower ISO's and still get the same exposure. They also affect your depth of field. When you chose what point of the image you want your camera to focus on, anything on that same horizontal plane to the camera's sensor will be in sharp focus. As objects/elements of the photo move further away from that point you chose to focus on, the less sharp they will appear based on the depth of field. A higher aperture results in a narrower depth of field, which will cause those elements that are not on the same plane as your focal point to become more blurred and less distinct the further away you get from that focal point.

Stopping down a lens, or reducing it's aperture, will increase your DOF and cause those elements to become more sharply in focus. However it will also let less light into the camera and too the sensor, so you'll need to either reduce your shutter speed or increase your ISO to maintain the same exposure.

Ok, on to shutter speed. Faster shutter speeds cause the shutter to open and close more quickly. The more quickly the shutter closes, the less light that can pass through it in that given time. Shutter speed is measured in fractions of a second, so for example a shutter speed of "50" means the shutter is actually remaining open for 1/50th of a second.

The advantage of higher shutter speeds is that they cancel out things like camera shake and motion blur, which can give you much sharper images. The disadvantage to a higher shutter speed is that the shutter opens and closes more quickly, which means it lets in less light - and that means you need either a wider aperture or a higher ISO to compensate and maintain the same exposure.

In general if you do not have something to brace the camera with like a tripod or monopod, or if you don't have any type of image stablization (it's called IS/OS/VC/VR by various manufacturers) then you want to keep your shutter speed at least as fast as the focal length your shooting at to avoid camera shake. So if your shooting at 300 mm, for example, you'll want to keep your shutter speed at 1/300 or higher if at all possible. Things like image stabilization will allow you to lower this shutter speed and still cancel out camera shake, which can be handy in certain conditions.

The last part of the equation is ISO, it's a setting that more or less controls how sensitive the sensor is to the light that's coming into the camera. If you raise the ISO the sensor will be more sensitive to the incoming light and as a result you can have less light coming in and still maintain the same exposure by raising your ISO. The drawback is as you raise the ISO you start to lose dynamic range - meaning that the colors will be less vibrant. The other concern is noise, once you reach a certain level of ISO (which varies from camera to camera) you start introducing more and more noise in your picture. They will start to appear "grainy" because of the digital noise.

So the trick is to learn to balance these three components to get the shot you want. If you need a faster shutter speed you can open up the aperture or increase the ISO or both. If you need to lower the ISO you can open the aperture wider or decrease your shutter speed or both. If you need to "stop down" the lens you can increase the ISO, decrease the shutter speed or a combination of both, all of which will allow you to maintain the same exposure.

Not sure how much if any of that might be helpful, but those are pretty much the most fundamental of fundamentals on the topic. Tons of websites and books on the subject as well for more in depth information.

Hope that helps :)

I am a firm believer in learning about photography. Not learning about "digital imaging", which is something slightly different than photography. I personally think the many photo instruction books written by the famous British author John Hedgecoe comprise one of the best set of books dedicated to showing,and telling, people how to find light, how to approach light, and how to "do photography". Go to Amazon, and search, and buy a couple of his books, new or used. Or look for them at Goodwill, or used book stores. John Hedgecoe's COmplete Book of Photo techniques is a nice, tall and slender volume, and one I leafed through last night in fact.

Forget the modern "recipe books", and focus on learning the timeless aspects of PHOTOGRAPHY, and shy away from the "how to operate a d-slr" crap that is so prevalent today.

Thank you both SO MUCH for the information and tips. This is exactly what we've been covering in class and what I've been reading up on. I'm a pretty damn smart gal, but for some reason in having a bit of trouble wrapping my brain around it. I understand f stops and shutter speed and ISO and exposure in theory, but when it comes time to implement those theories I just....I don't know. The formula is not clicking. I think it's because I'm more of a hands on learner, I can't just read about it, I need to DO IT.

So I literally just spent at least an hour wandering around my yard, snapping shots and playing with the settings. So when I found an "equation" that I liked and got the colors and exposure and depth of field that I was going for, I jotted it all down in my notebook, along with notes about the light (midday, overcast). I'm hoping to use that as sort of a starting point, and build on it by experimenting in different lights at different times of day. I know that eventually it will all become second nature, but it's just hard to get started. It seems that everything I read, every forum or website, everyone just talks so technical, and I just want to be like whoa, slow down, I'm still working on the basics! Lol!

So for my little experiment, I didn't worry too much about composition and just focused on my camera settings. I don't plan on ever shooting in Auto setting, and I agree that I need to learn the fundamentals of photography, not digital photography. Trust me, I agonized over my decision to purchase a DSLR for more than 2 years.

Thank you thank you thank you! Just keep the tips coming! Like I said, I will take it all in! Oh, and I'm heading to Amazon now to search for those books, thank you!

Sent from my iPhone

Thank you both SO MUCH for the information and tips. This is exactly what we've been covering in class and what I've been reading up on. I'm a pretty damn smart gal, but for some reason in having a bit of trouble wrapping my brain around it. I understand f stops and shutter speed and ISO and exposure in theory, but when it comes time to implement those theories I just....I don't know. The formula is not clicking. I think it's because I'm more of a hands on learner, I can't just read about it, I need to DO IT.

So I literally just spent at least an hour wandering around my yard, snapping shots and playing with the settings. So when I found an "equation" that I liked and got the colors and exposure and depth of field that I was going for, I jotted it all down in my notebook, along with notes about the light (midday, overcast). I'm hoping to use that as sort of a starting point, and build on it by experimenting in different lights at different times of day. I know that eventually it will all become second nature, but it's just hard to get started. It seems that everything I read, every forum or website, everyone just talks so technical, and I just want to be like whoa, slow down, I'm still working on the basics! Lol!

So for my little experiment, I didn't worry too much about composition and just focused on my camera settings. I don't plan on ever shooting in Auto setting, and I agree that I need to learn the fundamentals of photography, not digital photography. Trust me, I agonized over my decision to purchase a DSLR for more than 2 years.

Thank you thank you thank you! Just keep the tips coming! Like I said, I will take it all in! Oh, and I'm heading to Amazon now to search for those books, thank you!

Sent from my iPhone

My recommendation would be to do the same thing, only use manual mode. The reason for manual mode is that you can adjust the aperture, iso, and shutter speed using the same shot under the same conditions, then go look at them and see how that affects the final image. It will give you a good feel for how high you can push the ISO before the noise starts to become too much for your individual tastes. That's what I did, I started with manual mode, set the shutter speed and the aperture and just played with the ISO for a whole series of shots. Then I set the ISO, and played with just the aperture, and then the ISO and aperture and varied just the shutter speed.

Gave me some references that applied directly to my camera and I could see how each individual component would affect the results. Not sure what your using for a camera body, I use a Nikon D5200 myself - it has a handy little set of bars that show in the viewfinder that tell me if the picture is going to be underexposed or overexposed and by how much when shooting in manual mode.

Once I got a much better feel for the settings, I don't really use manual mode much anymore. It was great for learning but the vast majority of what I shoot are action shots or shots that could very quickly develop into action shots of some sort, so I generally use shutter priority. Gives me the best overall results for the type of shooting I do with the type of equipment I have. But i'm very glad I spent a few days mucking about in manual mode, gave me a much better understanding as to how the exposure "triangle" works and how adjusting various settings would affect the final image.

Oh, yes, I'm definitely doing all of my shooting right now in Manual, not Auto. I'm sorry, I guess I should have clarified that! My bad!

I'm using a Nikon D3200. I also have a Minolta Maxxum 7000 SLR and a slightly newer Maxxum as well. The 7000 is acting wonky, and I'm just not wild about the newer version. So rather than spending money to fix the SLR I just went ahead and invested in the Nikon DSLR.

So my next question: what lenses do YOU feel you use the most? Which lenses are absolute must haves for what types of photography? I am looking into a macro lens - I had one on my SLR and used it ALL THE TIME, so I'm trying to decide if I need one for the new camera, or if I can get the same close up, detailed shots with the lenses I have by adjusting my aperture and shutter speed. I like to shoot candid people - not the posed, portrait, "smile for the camera" shots, not that there's anything wrong with them at all, and I DO them, it's just that I prefer to, for example, get down on the floor with a toddler and just let them do their own thing while snapping of shots, with them usually completely unaware that I'm there. I also like to do.....well, I guess urban architecture? Not just a shot of a pretty building, but more trying to capture the angles and planes in an unexpected way, like a very close, almost abstract, shot of rusty filigree on a wrought iron post, or the trim on an old building shot from below rather than straight on. So what would you recommend I have in my camera bag to get me started, just the basics?

And what about filters? Do I need filters? Or any other "must-have" accessories?

Sent from my iPhone

Welcome to the party, Michelle!
It sounds like you have an amazing spirit about you! I hope photography can keep you entertained during your recovery.

Welcome. I am a big fan of playboy and moms.

Welcome aboard Michelle...

Oh, yes, I'm definitely doing all of my shooting right now in Manual, not Auto. I'm sorry, I guess I should have clarified that! My bad! I'm using a Nikon D3200. I also have a Minolta Maxxum 7000 SLR and a slightly newer Maxxum as well. The 7000 is acting wonky, and I'm just not wild about the newer version. So rather than spending money to fix the SLR I just went ahead and invested in the Nikon DSLR. So my next question: what lenses do YOU feel you use the most? Which lenses are absolute must haves for what types of photography? I am looking into a macro lens - I had one on my SLR and used it ALL THE TIME, so I'm trying to decide if I need one for the new camera, or if I can get the same close up, detailed shots with the lenses I have by adjusting my aperture and shutter speed. I like to shoot candid people - not the posed, portrait, "smile for the camera" shots, not that there's anything wrong with them at all, and I DO them, it's just that I prefer to, for example, get down on the floor with a toddler and just let them do their own thing while snapping of shots, with them usually completely unaware that I'm there. I also like to do.....well, I guess urban architecture? Not just a shot of a pretty building, but more trying to capture the angles and planes in an unexpected way, like a very close, almost abstract, shot of rusty filigree on a wrought iron post, or the trim on an old building shot from below rather than straight on. So what would you recommend I have in my camera bag to get me started, just the basics? And what about filters? Do I need filters? Or any other "must-have" accessories? Sent from my iPhone

Just get a 18-105 or 18-140 kit lens. Buy used if necessary. Find your preferred focal lengths...decide on upgrades at a later stage when you feel you have outgrown your current equipment. Just bear in mind that you are using an APS-C sensor and that affects your focal length. You might want to read a little more on that later. Meanwhile keep shooting. :)

Oh, yes, I'm definitely doing all of my shooting right now in Manual, not Auto. I'm sorry, I guess I should have clarified that! My bad!

Well that's it then.. You're FIRED! - now if you'll excuse me I need to take my hair piece out for a walk.. lol

I'm using a Nikon D3200. I also have a Minolta Maxxum 7000 SLR and a slightly newer Maxxum as well. The 7000 is acting wonky, and I'm just not wild about the newer version. So rather than spending money to fix the SLR I just went ahead and invested in the Nikon DSLR.

The 3200 is a great camera. I love my 5200.

So my next question: what lenses do YOU feel you use the most? Which lenses are absolute must haves for what types of photography? I am looking into a macro lens - I had one on my SLR and used it ALL THE TIME, so I'm trying to decide if I need one for the new camera, or if I can get the same close up, detailed shots with the lenses I have by adjusting my aperture and shutter speed. I like to shoot candid people - not the posed, portrait, "smile for the camera" shots, not that there's anything wrong with them at all, and I DO them, it's just that I prefer to, for example, get down on the floor with a toddler and just let them do their own thing while snapping of shots, with them usually completely unaware that I'm there. I also like to do.....well, I guess urban architecture? Not just a shot of a pretty building, but more trying to capture the angles and planes in an unexpected way, like a very close, almost abstract, shot of rusty filigree on a wrought iron post, or the trim on an old building shot from below rather than straight on. So what would you recommend I have in my camera bag to get me started, just the basics?

And what about filters? Do I need filters? Or any other "must-have" accessories?

Sent from my iPhone

Well ask 100 people this and you'll get 100 different answers.. or maybe as many as 150.. lol. For me I'm a huge fan of prime lenses, they are fast (meaning they generally have very wide apertures) and as such work well in a lot of different lighting conditions and give you a lot of DOF choices when the lighting is good. They are light weight and generally less expensive than their zooming cousins. For portraits I'm a big fan of the 50 mm 1.8 AFS-G, it's a great lens.

I also use an 85 mm 1.8 AF-S G quite a bit, a lot of what I shoot is actually wildlife/zoo photography, the 85 is a great focal length for that and it's amazingly sharp. For filters, I rarely if ever ue any myself. I own a couple of CPL's and a variable ND - I don't think I've used either more than maybe once or twice.

My best recommendation when it comes to selecting your next lens is to start by taking plenty of pictures with the kit lens you already have, and then take a look at the focal lengths you seem to use most. Then try setting the lens to that focal length (don't move it) and take a bunch of pictures that way. It will give you a chance to see the limitations a prime lens will impose on you before you actually put out any money to buy one. If you think that a prime in that focal length will work for you, they are hard to beat.

There are a lot of folks who are really big on the macro thing who can give you much better advise in that arena than I can, more of a telephoto guy myself.. lol.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back