Hi! Im the new kid on the block....

I'm not your typical soccer mom. Not by a long shot. ;)

Sent from my iPhone

Miiiiiish! We've got another!!! :whip::whip::whip: :lol: :lmao: :hug::

I'm glad I've never mentioned that I've coached soccer, take my kids to their soccer, and photograph soccer ... I guess I have mentioned that last part though. lol

Welcome aboard Michelle !!

I'm glad I've never mentioned that I've coached soccer, take my kids to their soccer, and photograph soccer ... I guess I have mentioned that last part though. lol

Welcome aboard Michelle !!

Well congrats Astro, apparently you are the closest thing we have to a standard, run of the mill soccer mom. Lol

Welcome to the site.

I'm glad I've never mentioned that I've coached soccer, take my kids to their soccer, and photograph soccer ... I guess I have mentioned that last part though. lol Welcome aboard Michelle !!

Hey, my youngest played soccer. Nothing wrong with being a soccer mom, I just said I'm not "typical." Translation: I'm a bit.....unconventional. ;)

Sent from my iPhone

I'm glad I've never mentioned that I've coached soccer, take my kids to their soccer, and photograph soccer ... I guess I have mentioned that last part though. lol Welcome aboard Michelle !!

Hey, my youngest played soccer. Nothing wrong with being a soccer mom, I just said I'm not "typical." Translation: I'm a bit.....unconventional. ;)

Sent from my iPhone

Pics or it didn't happen.

Welcome aboard Michelle. Looks like you'll fit right in around here.

Thank you both SO MUCH for the information and tips. This is exactly what we've been covering in class and what I've been reading up on. I'm a pretty damn smart gal, but for some reason in having a bit of trouble wrapping my brain around it. I understand f stops and shutter speed and ISO and exposure in theory, but when it comes time to implement those theories I just....I don't know. The formula is not clicking. I think it's because I'm more of a hands on learner, I can't just read about it, I need to DO IT.
Keep at it, and I'm sure you'll find your 'Eureka' moment where it does click and suddenly make more sense to you. I recall when I had that moment and I see it all the time in the students I teach this stuff to.

My name is Michelle. I've had a passion for photography for about 15 years, ever since someone gave me an old Minolta SLR and I shot my first roll of black and white film, but I'm just now learning all of the technical stuff. In the past I've taken some good pictures, and I just sort of go by "feel" - what feels right, what doesn't work - and kind of taught myself on the fly. I've always felt like I can do even more with my camera if I can just understand aperture, ISO, shutter speed, lighting, etc, and how to use them. So I finally broke down and bought a DSLR (though I will NEVER stop using film - there's just something magical about it!) and signed up for a Basic Photography class at the local community college. I stumbled across this forum and thought "Hey, what the hell, why not? I'm sure these people can help me!" About me? I'm a 38 year old mother of 2 beautiful teenage girls. I'm gay. I love music, art, cooking, fashion, design. I suffered a back injury about 3 1/2 years ago which totally changed my life. I've had multiple spine surgeries and have more in my future. As a direct result, I lost my job and had a lot of free time on my hands while trying to heal and get well. I've been forced by my limitations to slow down. Instead of sinking into "sad bastard mode" and letting depression drag me down, I decided to look at this as an opportunity to really devote myself to photography, to learning the technical piece, to becoming a better photographer and to create some beautiful art that, maybe, if I'm lucky, will evoke some sort of emotion for at least one person. If I can do that.....well, then this disaster will have been worthwhile. So teach me! Advise me! Guide me! I'm like a damn sponge and I will soak up anything you want to give me! dde1b

Welcome to the site and all that funky jazz. If you ever want to know about macro photography drop me a line and I'll be glad to help anyway I can. And sorry to break it to you but I'm straight and taken so.. better luck next time :p

I am a firm believer in learning about photography. Not learning about "digital imaging", which is something slightly different than photography. I personally think the many photo instruction books written by the famous British author John Hedgecoe comprise one of the best set of books dedicated to showing,and telling, people how to find light, how to approach light, and how to "do photography". Go to Amazon, and search, and buy a couple of his books, new or used. Or look for them at Goodwill, or used book stores. John Hedgecoe's COmplete Book of Photo techniques is a nice, tall and slender volume, and one I leafed through last night in fact. Forget the modern "recipe books", and focus on learning the timeless aspects of PHOTOGRAPHY, and shy away from the "how to operate a d-slr" crap that is so prevalent today.

Derrel, I ordered a few John Hedgecoe books from Amazon. I got Complete Photography Course, The Art of Digital Photography and Photography Basics. I also added about 5 more to my Wish List, so once I tear through these I'll probably get a few more. Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my iPhone

Welcome to the site and all that funky jazz. If you ever want to know about macro photography drop me a line and I'll be glad to help anyway I can. And sorry to break it to you but I'm straight and taken so.. better luck next time :p

Lol. Awesome, thanks. I'll try to control myself.

Sent from my iPhone

Most reactions

Back