high above the sky - sunset

ognistik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
foro.jpg

probably the best picture of a sunset I've taken so far. I was walking to my dorm at school and when I saw the sky I just ran to the room, took my camera and run outside looking for a good spot to shoot...​

that's amazing. very nice foreground as well....you got lucky there.

Yes. You saw right, reacted right, and did right with THIS sunset!
And I really LIKE how the sky gets darker and darker until it is only black at the top, I don't mind the "negative space" at all... for I feel it fits and is not negative at all.

And I like how that jetty or whatever it is in the water seems to point towards the setting sun! :D

thanks for commenting! glad you liked it

This shot is considerably underexposed by about at least 2 fstops. When it is brought up to its proper exposure level it makes a much more interesting shot but it is still somewhat flat in presentation and requires a vertical in the foreground to give it greater perspective.

skieur

"skieur"... yeah, it's underexposed... on purpose. If I had exposed it correctly, then the sky wouldn't have given me these almost "surreal" colors, but of course it's just personal taste... also if the sky had been correctly exposed the sun would have ended up being terribly bright plus I would have missed that gradient that I see as an illusion - a mix of night and day -

... thanks for the critique, it's nice to find someone with different point of view and taste. I will keep in mind the vertical in the foreground next time... perhaps.

"skieur"... yeah, it's underexposed... on purpose. If I had exposed it correctly, then the sky wouldn't have given me these almost "surreal" colors, but of course it's just personal taste... also if the sky had been correctly exposed the sun would have ended up being terribly bright plus I would have missed that gradient that I see as an illusion - a mix of night and day -

... thanks for the critique, it's nice to find someone with different point of view and taste. I will keep in mind the vertical in the foreground next time... perhaps.

Well, I don't see that you lose anything in a properly exposed photo particularly the colour, and you certainly gain a lot of space that was dead in the underexposure. It is still however a flat shot with limited perspective due to a foreground with little visual impact. Having done shots like your first one, several decades ago, they were not well received among experienced photographers and editors because of the factors I have mentioned.

skieur

hi_above_sky.jpg

Most reactions

Back