High key photos

wes1007

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all.. I've been having a go at high key shots but I can never seem to nail them. I always get slightly off white and exposing higher gives me over exposed subjects. :/ What advice can any of you give me?

This is just a shot of my latest attempt:

Matches by wez1007, on Flickr

I shoot on A3 cardstock (cheap and easily available) and I currently own 2 flashes and an umbrella. This shot was done by having the umbrella on the right and a flash on the left bouncing off the ceiling.

Thanks in advanced!

Hi – I'm not sure what you had in mind, but I can tell you that your photo looks underexposed. Here's a quick edit after playing 5 seconds with curves. I wouldn't exactly call this high key, but at least it's not underexposed ;)

$8334148646_3d2fbca1a9_o copy.jpg

hmm think ive just had my screen brightness too high :/ i really need to look at a spyder or something.

the problem i find is that when trying to get a high key shot the image starts to look harsh and over exposed like: High Key Portrait | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I am trying to get the isolated look.

thanks for the reply! :wink:

Exaggeration intended :)

haha! I didnt expect people to go crazy with the images. Gave me a bit of a laugh :)

I dont know. I tend to under expose things.

What would be the best way to calibrate my monitors without forking out for a spyder or similar?

You need a Spyder regardless of any other considerations.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back