High School Reunion Photography - Help!

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Somebody just called and wants me to give a bid on doing photography at a high school reunion. They're not sure what they want, and they want to know what I would charge. They apparently want cheap.

I am thinking about saying $200 booking fee. I'll take pictures throughout the event, and post them online with a password on my Smugmug. I'll give out cards with the website address, and the Smugmug password. These pictures online could be priced at $2, 5, and 10 (for 4x6's, 5x7's, and 8x10's) and watermarked. Then, I'm guaranteed to make some money, and hopefully will make more when people buy pictures.

Any ideas on shots to take, and prices to charge? Help!

I'm not interested on the professional side of photography... yet, but sounds like a good money and it gets the word out that you are for hire.

How are the wedding gigs going? Are you getting any appointments?

I'm not interested on the professional side of photography... yet, but sounds like a good money and it gets the word out that you are for hire.

How are the wedding gigs going? Are you getting any appointments?

I haven't tried hard yet. I know a guy who will let me shadow him. From his portfolio, he looks good, but he doesn't shoot much (he's a lawyer full time). Other than that, I haven't asked around much. My uncle-in-law said I could spend a month with him and shoot, but it's a long drive to Florida, and I have a summer job that pays well.

I agree with Jerry. Bump that number up some.

bump it up? A pro? I'm just a college student! Have you seen my gallery!?

How much do I bump it?

bump it up? A pro? I'm just a college student! Have you seen my gallery!?

How much do I bump it?

They approached you. Congratulations, you are now a pro as far as they are concerned. Whatever you think a new type of gig is worth, double it. It is going to end up being way more work than you think. Events like this are as much or more intensive than weddings in a shorter amount of time. You are probably best to set up a studio with backdrop, lights, props etc in a corner and designate a time for portraits. I'd announce when this time will be to the crowd just so they know for sure and no one misses out. This will be the biggest money maker. Then get old sports teams, cheerleading, band type group pictures. Then take candids after everybody is greased up on beer and hors d'oeuvres. ALL of these pictures are going to be money makers for you and they ALL have to be sharp and perfectly focused. Sounds simple, but with limited memory card space and no huge monitor to check each picture on, this can be hard. I really think you can do this, but it's going to be more than even I am recalling right now. Good luck!

BTW your gallery looks nice, it just isn't huge. Don't sell yourself short, it costs too much!

They approached you. Congratulations, you are now a pro as far as they are concerned. Whatever you think a new type of gig is worth, double it. It is going to end up being way more work than you think. Events like this are as much or more intensive than weddings in a shorter amount of time. You are probably best to set up a studio with backdrop, lights, props etc in a corner and designate a time for portraits. I'd announce when this time will be to the crowd just so they know for sure and no one misses out. This will be the biggest money maker. Then get old sports teams, cheerleading, band type group pictures. Then take candids after everybody is greased up on beer and hors d'oeuvres. ALL of these pictures are going to be money makers for you and they ALL have to be sharp and perfectly focused. Sounds simple, but with limited memory card space and no huge monitor to check each picture on, this can be hard. I really think you can do this, but it's going to be more than even I am recalling right now. Good luck!

GREAT advice. This gives me several ideas, and I can totally pull this off. Thanks so much!

GREAT advice. This gives me several ideas, and I can totally pull this off. Thanks so much!

No prob man! I've done some stuff similar to this and I am also a college student running a wedding/anything photography business so I figured I'd through that out there. If you were closer to Michigan I'd say you should tag along on some weddings and such, but I don't have many scheduled yet for this year anyway.

OK another question. So, there's gonna be lots of people with cameras at the event probably, right?

What do I do, if during a large group shot (possible big money maker), somebody says: "Hey, here's my camera, get one with it too".

? I could see this happening a LOT.

OK another question. So, there's gonna be lots of people with cameras at the event probably, right?

What do I do, if during a large group shot (possible big money maker), somebody says: "Hey, here's my camera, get one with it too".

? I could see this happening a LOT.

easy, say no.

tell them they can buy one of yours.

Keith204. That's actually brilliant question.

Part of reoccurring business is from existing clients. You don't want to be mean but at the same time you don't want to lose money.

I suggest offering all your shots in a contract clause(for single prints all shots will be available via www.keith204.com, etc). The invoice, purchase order, Statement of Work, etc. Whatever you use to have the customer sign as commitment to use your services. You can also add a clause that doesn't allow other cameras. Exclusively you are the only one allowed to use a camera.

4x6s or 8x10s cheap enough to catch someone's eye as well as so you still make money.

Make business cards and give them out to the person asking...If they really want it they can go online as well.

Better to be proactive by offering them ways to get the shots as opposed to just saying NO give me money.

You can also add a clause that doesn't allow other cameras. Exclusively you are the only one allowed to use a camera.

I don't know if that is a good idea. I would be mad if I went to my reunion and couldn't take pictures of my friends. If I was the one planning the reunion and I read that clause, I'd say I couldn't do that. I don't know, maybe I'm out of touch. I'm all for making money, but that seems too much. I could see if it was something other than a reunion or wedding, etc., like a convention for work, then I could see not allowing other cameras.

Crosby I agree with you totally but it is a business. You don't have to add the clause outlawing cameras but you could still do the business card idea instead of using their camera. I'm not sure how he plans on making money from this but if he use their camera and takes a great shot that person could say don't buy any of that photographers shot...I got one he took on mine that I can email to everyone for free.

I'm sure you'll cover your cost for being there as well as getting there but I assume you would like to sell some of the photos in packages, singles, albums, etc.

Don't get me wrong my mentality is not to ring out the client for every bit of money they have but it is to cover my costs and meet some target revenue for the job.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back