Hiking tripods

NikonBaby33

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey ya'all. I have a tripod but I don't like it, it is bulky and not good for hiking at all. Now here in a couple of months I plan to go to Smokey Mountains National Park and the bulk of what I will be doing there is photography and hiking. What is the best tripod to use for hiking? Should I use a monopod instead? I like to take landscape photos the best and in the Smokey Mountains I guess the best time to take a landscape photo is in the wee early morning hours when the sun is just rising, so I can get good shots of the "smoke" on the mountains, so would a monopod be good for this?

Also, do you have any advice of any other gear that would be good for taking my camera hiking, bags, filters, etc? I also like taking close up shots of flowers and such.

I have a Nikon D3100 with a 55-200mm lens and a smaller lense.

Thanks!

I would not use a monopod, won't do much for you early in the morning.
I use a vanguard carbon fiber tripod with a ball head, weighs about 3.5 lbs. I know there are lighter but its sturdy and wasnt too expensive.
If I'm only going a few miles and only to take photo's I bring my whole camera backpack. If its a longer or more technical hike I bring my 10-24mm and 18-105mm with polarizers (& ND filters if I'm shooting water). Just to save on weight.
Since I usually go out early or late I also always bring a headlamp, map, and compass.

You want the lightest, sturdiest tripod you can afford.

I recently got a feisol carbon fiber tripod with a photo clam ballhead, and its freakin flawless and weighs less than 3 pounds combined. but it did cost a pretty penny...

A monopod is not a replacement for a tripod. Sure, it's better than using nothing, but the idea of a tripod is that you aren't touching the camera at all, giving you maximum sharpness and allowing you to use just about any shutter speed (thus any aperture and ISO) that you want.

You could get a cheap (light) tripod but it may not be sturdy or durable. If you want sturdy and durable but light, then carbon fiber is the way to go...but they aren't cheap.

Yes, when shooting landscapes, the best light is often very early and very late...but keep in mind that when in the mountains, the sun may not 'rise' over the mountains until much later in the day. So very early , look for the 'alpine glow' when the first rays touch the peeks, but then you may have time to kill before you get usable light again...depending how interesting the sky looks.

A big thing when shooting in the mountains, is that different sides/faces of the mountains will be lit at different times of day (as the sun moves across the sky). So if you plan to shoot a certain scene, try to find out when the best time to be there will be...because shaded mountains and lit mountains look very different.

I agree, if you go with the tripod, it should be strong (heavy) enough to do the job even whit a little wind. I have a cheap one and it is not very useful.

But to go to walk in the mountain 6, 8 or 10 hours a day during a couple of weeks, I prefer the trekking pole transformed to monopod, or a light monopod.

Monopod plus bongo ties or rubber bands to make a tripod with two other sticks in field. Ive done this a few times.

Gitzo traveler series tripod are the lightest and better quality tripods ive found but they tend to be very expensive.

Cheaper alternate that I like is the Benro Angel tripods. They make a carbon versions that are also very light

My travel companion isn the Cullmann magic tripod. Its not the sturdiest but its lightweight and folds flat with a short folding length. Its gone through much use but my cameras tend to be small and light.

Often a sturdy but lightweight tripod can be made to withstand wind by weighing it down with a bag of stuff (rocks for example) suspended in between the legs.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back