Hiking with camera

Turnerea

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How do you hold your camera while hiking, especially backpacking. I went for a 2 day trip to the Channel Island National Park (will post a few pics later) but really did not have a good system down. I just put my extra lens and filters in my pack, which was easy enough, but did not want my camera in there (wouldn't have fit anyway) because I wanted to have it accessible for taking shots along the hikes. I ended up just having it over my shoulder and opposite underarm. Tightened down the strap so that it wouldn't bounce THAT much. Also should say that I use trekking poles almost all the time, so that limited my options... anyone else in a similar situation?

Any suggestions from those of you who hike alot? Would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Erik

I don't hike a lot, but I've done a bit of hiking in the Rocky Mountains with my camera gear. Keeping the camera in the backpack is comfortable but it takes too long to get out, so you may miss some shots or not bother when you see something good.

Sometimes I have the strap around my neck, but that gets old very fast. A good strap is essential if you are going to do that. I do strap it across my chest, which is more comfortable but a little harder to use. When shooting often while on the move, I use a monopod as a hiking stick and keep the camera on it (but still strapped to me)...this probably isn't a great idea.

A co-worker of mine recently bought a chest harness for holding the camera. They are more common for binoculars in the bird watching crowd, but he says it's good for his camera.

You may want to consider a sling style bag or something that can be worn along with your backpack.

I am also new to this forum. (been lurking a while tho). Finally found a topic I have some experience with. Big Mike mentioned a chest harness. I have been using one for several years. It's called a Snugger Strap (brand name). It basically redistibutes the weight of the camera off your neck to your shoulders and secures the camera to the chest strap with velcro. only down side I found was velcro releasing is noisy when trying to photo critter.

Check out the Lowepro Slingshot camera backpacks. I do lots of hiking and I take mine with me every time - love it!

What kind of camera are you carrying that it won't fit in a backpack?
I carry a camera with two lenses, food, stove, water filter, etc in a Camelbak HAWG:
s7_516904_renderset_01

Trekking poles and tripod get attached to the outside.

It's not that the camera (Rebel XTi) won't fit, I have a large pack, but I'm trying to find a solution for carrying it while doing backpacking trips. That means that my pack is full with my sleeping bag, food, tent, cooking stuff, clothes etc. I managed to get my telephoto lens in a case and in the top pocket of my pack, but the camera won't fit. I'd also like to have easy access to it while hiking... so I didn't really want it in my bag.

I use a Canon backpack when I go day hiking that I think will be used just like your Camelbak Hawg is.

Thanks for the thoughts, I'll take a look at those sling packs...

i use a lowepro slingshot 100 when hiking
flip it right over and grab the camera out anytime.

Most reactions

Back